Talk

Advanced search

4 year old DS and nightime

(6 Posts)
countrylover Sun 18-Oct-09 19:28:31

DS has just turned four and announced a couple of weeks ago that he didn't want to wear nappies at night anymore.

We have tried a couple of times for a week at a time when he was three but didn't get a single dry night so went back to nappies.

The time we've had around 50/50 success. We may have two dry nights followed by two wet nights etc. But there doesn't seem to be any sign of improvement and we're nearly three weeks in now.

Do we go back to nappies and try again in six months or so? Or is this kind of success actually quite good and we should persevere? I have no idea whether this kind of progress is fantastic, average or not very good.

I don't want to keep going if he's not ready but at the same time perhaps this is going in the right direction so worth carrying on with?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 19-Oct-09 02:23:24

Are you getting him up through the night to use the potty/toilet?

ches Mon 19-Oct-09 03:33:45

Do you know what time he wets at night? Is he having a lot to drink before bed? I took our DS out of nappies at night at 2.5 (he's now 2.7) and some weeks (teething, usually) he would wet every night, other weeks not at all. I think he has wet once in the past month.

countrylover Mon 19-Oct-09 09:19:28

I get him up when we go to bed at 10pm and most of the time he's still dry and he'll do a wee in the toilet.

He seems to wet himself just before he wakes up in the morning at around 7am as he comes into our room saying I've just wet myself. Either that or he's just been lying in his own wee all night and he's in such a deep sleep he doesn't notice.

Anyone else there with any experience? How long did it take before you had regular dry nights? As it's been nearly three weeks should we go back to nappies?

countrylover Mon 19-Oct-09 18:16:52

bump

ches Wed 21-Oct-09 04:35:31

It's possible he's waking up and weeing because he's half asleep and is so used to being able to wee in a nappy when he wakes. Does he have access to his potty? Can you get up at 6:45 am and wake him and put him on the potty? DS is going through a phase of waking at 5am because he needs to wee. I put him on the potty and we go back to sleep. In the past he would've wet the bed, but he's getting more practice IYSWIM. Your 4yo should get it quicker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now