Talk

Advanced search

3.5 year old still wetting knickers. Any advice?

(14 Posts)
auntynatal Sun 11-Oct-09 13:21:26

DD2 was potty trained over a year ago and has had several periods where she has wet herself a lot. About a month ago I instigated a sticker chart which worked like a dream. She got a reward fopr completing it and was fine for a week, but has recently started wetting herslef again. It is driving me insane. How much longer is this likely to go on for and has anyone got any other top tips? She goes to nursery and wets there to sometimes. If she knows she will get a reward she is fine, but i can't reward her continuously for behaviour that I want to be normal can I?

NoseyNooNoo Mon 12-Oct-09 19:27:10

I feel your pain. My DD has been potty trained for most of this year but has started wetting her knickers again. She has had 3 sets of knickers/trousers today and I am sick of the laundry. I don't feel that she is even trying to keep it in. She is fine at pre-school and at childminder which makes it more infuriating.
I'd be very interested in any tips that are offered to you.

Rosebud05 Mon 12-Oct-09 20:25:53

It's a complicated process this potty training lark, isn't it? My dd was quite enthusiastic about it all until her younger brother arrived 4 months ago (fair enough) and now uses the toilet perfectly happily at nursery 2 days a week but won't at home.
Would also be interested in anyone else's experience/tips?

cookielove Mon 12-Oct-09 20:32:38

You could buy her extra special pants that she really really wants, or let her choose. to which you can either say if you stay dry for 2 weeks or more and you can cross off the days on a calender, (if she wets start again) then she can wear them, if she wets take them away.

Or you can make how nice these pants are, how lucky she is blah blah, then say they are to nice to get dirty, and if she wets them they go in the bin?

harsh i know but she def understands how to use the toliet so i would say laziness is stopping her.

or Say you are a big girl now, so we go to the toliet, take her every 30 mins if she complains you reinforce that you don't want her to wet herself, she'll prob get really annoyed at you that she start taking herself

Surfermum Mon 12-Oct-09 20:34:37

Any chance she might have a urine infection? I was always puzzled by dd's apparent regressions but it turned out she had an infection and/or vulvitis. Does she look red/sore?

cookielove Mon 12-Oct-09 20:47:25

oh yes that is true, could be urine infection aree with surfermum to

LaCerbiatta Thu 15-Oct-09 11:23:49

WOuld also love to hear others opinions.

dd is nearly 4 and has been potty trained for 18 months. It was very easy in the beginning, but after 6 months she started having acidents and now it's constant. I don't know if she doesn't know that she needs to go until it's too late or if she just can't be bothered. It's driving me mad! She does it at nursery, at home, everywhere!

We've tried rewards, punishments, everything. It all works for a week or so, but she then just regresses again....

An infection couldn't last this long, could it??

LaCerbiatta Thu 15-Oct-09 13:01:00

bump

loomer Thu 15-Oct-09 13:50:58

Just to add my recent experience with DD (nearly 4)... she potty trained quite easily around 2.5/3yo and then suddenly 'regressed' about six months ago. We had several trips to the doctors, urine samples were negative, a total mystery. Went back to using a reward system, but like you found it only worked for a week or so.

We have ended up sticking with the rewards for the past month - and she finally seems to have got back on top of it (no accidents at nursery either) but we've really had to work hard at it, and I am making a more conscious effort to take her to the toilet on a regular basis - even if she says she doesn't need to go. It was so frustrating, because it felt like we had taken a big step backwards.

Sorry I don't have any more solutions, but you are not alone!

loomer Thu 15-Oct-09 13:52:32

Oh, I forgot to say if she does have an infection the urine usually smells very strongly, just something to look out for.

Surfermum Thu 15-Oct-09 17:27:54

You both described dd to a T. I was especially confused by it when she went to school and was forever having accidents. It was still going on in Year 1.

There were times when she had a infection and her wee didn't smell, there were times when it did as well.

But what I think was going on for her was that she had vulvitis and if left untreated it developed into a urinary infection.

She was seen at the hospital and all sorts of tests done that were negative, and many urine tests were also negative. It was a puzzle and the Consultant was no help at all - the advice he gave us was what we were doing anyway. My GP was at a loss too.

I am happy to tell you what has worked for us because we have resolved it now, but it wasn't anything behavioural.

LaCerbiatta Fri 16-Oct-09 13:19:09

What are the signs of a vulvitis?
How long can a UTI go on for? Surely not a whole year....

nigglewiggle Fri 16-Oct-09 13:47:45

Can I join in too! DD1 (3.8) is exactly the same. I had started to wonder whether she might have an infection, especially as last night she kept saying she needed to wee just before bed and was sitting on the toilet unable to go.

When I checked her over she didn't look sore, but I wasn't really sure what to look for. I asked her if it stang when she eventually did go and she said no.

I will watch this with interest.

lljkk Fri 16-Oct-09 14:02:48

My DD was like this, too. She had a hang-up about being constipated, hence why she would delay going to the toilet.

We used to frog-march her to the loo every 2 hours or so, was the only thing that helped until she was 4 or so and finally sorted herself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now