Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When is the best time to start potty training for a girl?

(8 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Thu 08-Oct-09 08:46:57

DD is 18mths and have been asked a few times if i'vde started yet, i didn't think i needed to worry baout this yet. when should i start thinking about it?

purepurple Thu 08-Oct-09 08:52:37

When she starts showing signs she is ready. There is no 'right' age, it depends on each individual child.
Signs to look out for:-

Telling you when she has done a wee or poo

Having dry nappies between changes(this is the key one to look out for, it shows muscle control)

Asking to go to the toilet

There are 2 ways of doing it. You can start early and drag it out for months. Or you can leave it until she shows all the signs of being ready and then put her into kninckers and crack it in a week.

troutpout Thu 08-Oct-09 09:07:22

When she is more than ready i would say
I chose the second method mentioned by purepurple.
I think if i'd done the 'training' thing then i would have had months of wet clothes and they would have ended up being dry at the same time anyway tbh.
Ds and dd were practically 'begging' not to wear nappies. Ds was 2 1/2 . I had decided to wait untill dc 2 was more than ready too but dd took me by surprise at 18 months with her absolute tantrums and wanting to wee on the toilet only. I had to keep taking her nappy off to wee on the toilet.hmm It took dh to make me see sense when she was 19 months when he said 'ffs! she obviously doesn't need them anymore' Both kids just stopped wearing them. Don't really remember any accidents..there may have been one or 2. They both stopped wearing nappies at night about 2 weeks after being dry in the day.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 08-Oct-09 09:10:25

Doesn't help that dd doesn't speak much as yet. She has started to pull at her nappy and now squats down. I ask if she is doing wee/poo and she answers but not sure its always the right answer as yet, although a couple of times i think she answered yes and i checked and she ahdn't but then did in a couple of mins. guess it shows she knows its going to happen.

thanks

BloodshotEyeballs Thu 08-Oct-09 09:12:43

DD is 21 months nearly and has been using the potty and asking for it for a few months now. Am definitely going to wait until she's more than ready rather than having months of stress. Nappies are not that much hassle and far less hassle than toilet training. My niece was gone three, took her nappy off one day and refused to put it back on. Job done

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 09-Oct-09 07:42:36

NOw thats the toddler i want grin

belgo Fri 09-Oct-09 07:46:43

DD1 was 23 months; potty trained in a day.

DD2 was 19 months, took a week to potty train, (we were on holiday at the time).

It was great to have them both out of nappies, saves on cost, saves on washing nappies.

I would say go for it.

shazbean Fri 09-Oct-09 08:11:13

My DD was just 2. We had a potty around for a long time (a well-meant "gift" hmm). We waited for her really - she said pee when she did it then pulled nappy off immediately and pulled the nappy off when she wanted a poo and that was that. A few mishaps (still) but nothing major, I think purepurple is right, leave it til they are ready otherwise the washing machine will never be off! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now