Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal that my 2.5yr old son doesn't know when he needs to go? Help!

(6 Posts)
Jethers Mon 05-Oct-09 14:55:31

My son is 2.5 yrs old and still doesn't seem aware of when he needs to have a pee or a poo (although he knows when he's done it). Would really like to start toilet training as he's way too big now to easily nappy change but is there any point at this stage? Is there anything I can do to help him along? (He'll happily sit on the loo and pretend but he's never done anything).

Bessie123 Mon 05-Oct-09 14:57:40

It doesn't sound like there's much point in trying to toilet train him yet, you will prob just make him anxious. why don't you leave it a few months? Sometimes it takes boys a little longer. If you are already getting him used to the potty or the loo that's a really good start. 2.5 yrs is not late.

Mercy Mon 05-Oct-09 15:02:25

I used to take mine to the potty/toilet every 30 minutes or so when we first started training as they weren't aware of when they needed to go.

I didn't train my ds until he was over 3 and he got it in a week (poos took much longer though) Dd was somewhat younger.

Jethers Mon 05-Oct-09 15:02:28

I guess not, but I'd like some idea of what sort of time-frame we could be looking at - when is he likely to be out of nappies?

Mercy Mon 05-Oct-09 15:10:28

Many children aren't dry at night for ages - it's pretty common to be in pull-ups at 3 and 4 even if your child has been dry during the day for a long time.

It really does vary from child to child. Dd was dry at night at 3 and a bit, whereas ds was nearly 5.

lynniep Mon 05-Oct-09 15:23:26

I think its pretty normal yes. My DS is 2.7 now, he doesnt seem to know either - although he can randomly pee on a potty if we put him there about 10 minutes after downing a cup of juice! He's not ready for potty training as he won't admit he's done a poo and isnt aware of needing one (he accidently did one in the bath the other day and he was horrified - trying to climb out and shouting 'yukky poo mummy'- he clearly didnt realise it was coming!)

Out of the four boys in our close mums group (all born within 6 weeks of each other) only one is half potty trained and recognises the need to poo and wee. (The girls are all more advanced) Two (including mine) dont recognise when they need it at all and the other one knows when he needs a wee but not a poo.

I just keep the potty in the living room and when DS gets home from nursery I take off his bottoms and plonk him on it (As he's always had juice on the way home) so he usually does a big wee in their by default. Then he gets lots of praise and clapping and a sticker in the vain hope he'll associate it with feeling the wee coming and using the potty. I suspect we've got many months to go yet...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now