Talk

Advanced search

1st attempt at nappy free night - any tips?

(3 Posts)
floraflora Thu 24-Sep-09 19:44:46

DS, now 3 yrs 4 mo, is very reliable during the day - I let him potty train in his own time and it seemed to work well. Last week on holiday we had a string of dry nappies in the morning, but I didn't dare attempt whipping it off in a rented bed. Tonight is the night. He had a very late afternoon sleep so probably won't conk out until 9-ish. I plan to get him to wee before bed and maybe pop him on the loo about midnight.
I have no experience of doing this and seem to have managed never to have this discussion with friends who have older children. What should I expect? If I pop him on the loo while half asleep will he know what to do?
Thoughts please.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 24-Sep-09 19:48:56

Personally I would get him to wee before bedtime, but not take him at midnight.

If he has had dry nappies for a week he may well (fingers crossed) be trained, and you may be starting a habit that it's hard to get out of.

Good luck smile

Lemontea Thu 24-Sep-09 19:50:14

I got my DS (3.7 at the time) up just before I went to bed. He never really woke up as I carried him and plonked him on the toilet and said 'wee wee now'. He always managed to have a wee in the toilet and managed to get him back to bed without waking him up.
I only did this for a couple of weeks before he was dry through the night.
My problem was in the mornings - I had to get DS up before he woke up to go to the toilet (IYSWIM).

Main thing - don't stress it and have plenty of clean bedding (and at least 2 waterproof mattress covers)

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now