Talk

Advanced search

I think she's ready for potty training but I think she is too young WWYD?

(16 Posts)
shinyshoes Thu 24-Sep-09 18:24:35

My ds is 20 months, she knows when she's pooed because she'll hold her nose say 'yuk' and go lay down on the settee (this is where we change her) .

Lately for the past week or so she's been pulling at her nappy at the front saying 'yuk' and laying down on the settee. But theres no poo there.

She dosen't pull her nappy down at the front when she's pooed, so I think she knows when she's weeing.

I think she is a little young though. What do you think?

nickschick Thu 24-Sep-09 18:25:30

Give it a try ....what can you lose?

If it doesnt 'happen' then try again later.

lynniep Thu 24-Sep-09 18:28:48

She's not too young. as NC says - give it a go and if it doesnt work try again later.

I know a girl who was fully potty trained at 19 months. I just wish I could say the same for my DS!!

nickschick Thu 24-Sep-09 18:31:56

All my 3 ds were trained night and day by 2!!

Not cos im supermum (altho obviously I am wink) just they were 'ready'.

Scorps Thu 24-Sep-09 18:34:42

My friends dd was dry at 18 months, its not uncommon in girls.

I would let her have a potty and some nappy free time at home and see what you get.

shinyshoes Thu 24-Sep-09 18:34:46

Thanks ladies, as luck has iti'm off work until monday so we can have a go.

I haven't domne this for years so what do I do? Do I just take her nappy off, keep sitting her on it until she does something then make an almighty fuss when she does??

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 24-Sep-09 18:35:52

Ignore her age and go with what she understands and can do.

My DD asked for knickers at 17 months.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 24-Sep-09 18:36:37

Take her shopping for some big girl knickers. She will love that .

MerlinsBeard Thu 24-Sep-09 18:38:18

Ds3 is showing similar signs. I am reluctant to officially train him yet but we are doing some "background training". Things like sitting him on the loo when he asks or when he comes with me. Handwashing afterwards. He won't yet sit on the potty or toilet with no nappy on which is why I am nt officially starting yet

mazzystartled Thu 24-Sep-09 18:39:11

I'm sure dd would have been ready by @18 months but at the time I couldn't face it.

Give it a whirl - it is so lovely not to have to change pooey nappies that it's worth a try - but if it doesn't work out no harm done

shinyshoes Thu 24-Sep-09 18:41:39

lol. She can say 'yuk' it's more of a 'ugh'

can say food and milk in Makaton but often confuses the two. She can't talk at all, dosen't say a word so I think taking her out for knickers would go completely over her head. she'll pick them up and throw them on the floor grin

shinyshoes Sat 26-Sep-09 09:33:34

Well I think that's put an end to that hmm

yesterday she weed on the floor with no attempt to go to the potty she was in ALOT of distress seeing all the wet on the floor, we had tears, snot, the nthe hiccuping sobs, I put a nappy on her.

Then this morning i put her in a highchair for her breakfast, bearing in mind all morning we have been randomly sitting her on the potty and she shits in the highchair.

I think I might give up. She's got a nappy on now.

I just don't know how to go about this, it's been sometimeas my DS's are 8 and 12.

notyummy Sat 26-Sep-09 09:54:56

Sounds exactly like DD - nursery said to us when she was 21months that they thought she was ready. She was in a room with slightly older kids and was following them to the potty and trying to go, plus telling us that she had done a poo/wanting her nappy changed etc. She was very verbal so could explain exactly what was happening. We gave it a try for a few days, but it caused distress for her and us, as she couldn't get to the potty quickly enough for wees (although we took her loads of times - and then she would we on the floor 5 mins later.)

We made a decision to stop, put her in pull=ups so she could access a potty if she wanted to and waited another 2/3 months (until just before her 2nd birthday I think) and then tried again - and that was it. She completely 'got it' for both night and day, and since then (she is now 3.2) we have literally had about 5/6 accidents day and night. She was obviously not ready before, and it didn't seem to cause a major problem by takig the pressure off, and then returning to the process later.

shinyshoes Sat 26-Sep-09 17:00:10

thank you notyummy. That's put me right at ease smile

Seona1973 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:50:11

I did it in a gentle way with ds around the same age i.e. I put him in a pull up so it was easy to get up and down and took him regularly to the toilet/potty. When he was telling me he needed the toilet while wearing the pull up I put him into pants. He was out of nappies by the age of 2 and we didnt have hundreds of accidents as we didnt go straight to pants.

parker1313 Tue 29-Sep-09 21:26:08

Its nothing to do with intelligence or maturity so it doesnt matter how old.Give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now