Talk

Advanced search

DS "too busy" to use potty regularly!! Any advice??

(5 Posts)
angemorange Wed 23-Sep-09 15:22:14

My DS started potty training at 2.3, largely 'cos he was interested but now, 6 months later he's still not fully trained. He says he's 'too busy to stop for his potty, even if it's in same room!! He has used 'big toilet' a few times every week and has no problem using potty at some point in day but the accidents are constant!! Any advice or ideas to keep him on track?

tvaerialmagpiebin Wed 23-Sep-09 15:27:11

You have to kind of schedule it in, IYKWIM. Let him play with e.g. trains for half an hour, then say "potty time ds" and maybe go yourself (not on potty unless you are really game for a laugh) Then make a big fuss if he does something, maybe a snack, bit more play, another potty visit. Maybe let him flush toilet, choose own soap, have special towel, sticker chart, if all else fails, choc button bribery......

angemorange Wed 23-Sep-09 16:31:13

Thanks for that - I've been trying some of those things. Think it's just taking so long I'm getting a bit stressed which isn't great!

tvaerialmagpiebin Wed 23-Sep-09 17:53:59

I know, it is so hard not to get riled when you find poo right next to the potty isn't it.

I know it is easy to say but do relax over it. He will get there when he is ready.

claireybee Wed 23-Sep-09 17:58:48

DD did that. I started to make her go upstairs and change herself when she had an accident and she eventually realised it was far quicker and less hassle to just wee in the right place. She took a year to train though and even now has slight accidents where she leaves it too long because she can't be bothered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now