Talk

Advanced search

Is it necessary to stay in the house for at least the first couple of days when potty training?

(6 Posts)
Gateau Tue 22-Sep-09 11:41:23

Hi,
Nursery is starting potty training in earnest with DS (2.5) today.
I'm off on Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun with him and, depending how it goes, will carry on what they've been doing.
Everyone I speak to says you should stay in the house and not go anywhere for the first couple of days of training. But I have a midwife appointment on Thurs morn and usually take DS out in the afternoon. Have to see the midwife but am not sure whether to chance putting him in pants or not? And should I stay in in the afternoon or go out and take the travel potty with me?

Habbibu Tue 22-Sep-09 11:46:07

I didn't, tbh - anathema to some, but I used pull-ups when out - took dd to the toilet whenever possible, and pulled them up and down. She was just fine - I know some people say it's confusing, but I think that very much depends on the child. I couldn't have done the cold turkey days in house thing without going mad.

jeee Tue 22-Sep-09 11:47:14

I always used nappies when out in early stages of potty training - much less stressful.

muddleduck Tue 22-Sep-09 11:49:39

I've done it both ways:

DS1 - stayed in the house for best part of a week.

DS2 - life as normal with a portable potty taken whereever we went (no nappy).

both went fine.

robino Tue 22-Sep-09 11:51:39

I didn't stay in and we went cold turkey on the nappies. Although we didn't go far the first day. Did do an hour's drive to a friend's and a trip to ikea the next day. Must be said, I was a bit over-ambitious with that and twas not a succesful day! She's been pretty much completely sorted since day 3 though. To give DD all the credit that is due to her she kind of it did it all herself anyway (the potty training)

Gateau Tue 22-Sep-09 11:57:08

Thanks everyone. The thought of spending days in the house was scaring me too!Depending on how DS gets on at nusery, I'll maybe go cold turkey and take him out with no nappies on too. DS has been in pull-ups for AGES (because he's a very lively boy and was standing up for nappy changes from nine or ten months old!)so I think, in his case, continuing to use them would be confusing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now