Talk

Advanced search

DS is 3.6 and seems untrainable :-( Please help!

(7 Posts)
IrishDraught Mon 21-Sep-09 13:52:13

He never seems to know when he needs the toilet, but in the summer holidays I bought a potty anyway. He tried to squeeze out a wee and poo (little of both came out), and has done this a few times (sometimes when I ask if needs the potty, he says yes then tries, sometimes he announces himself but doesn't really go), but normally he is just playing and just goes on the floor. The only way he realises is the sound and he looks suprised. I rush him to the potty if I catch him, but it's still happeneing. He shows no signs of needing to go, he will go during whatever he is doing (including sitting on chairs shock). Is he not ready yet, or can I do more to help him? Shall I put him on the potty every 30-60 mins? DH has taken half term off to try and crack this, but I am not sure how. Thankyou

crumpet Mon 21-Sep-09 13:56:32

We ended up spending a long time taking ds every 10-15 mins, gradually extending it - it took ages, but he seemd happy enough (and not worried about the number of accidents he had!) and we didn't want to stop once it had started. Patience and perseverence got us through, and we did put nappies on for quite a while for car journeys. he was about 2 1/2 when we started though, so quite young.

Good luck.

IrishDraught Mon 21-Sep-09 15:20:25

Thanks, I guess we just need to keep it up He just did a poo in the potty (he asked) but in 3 stages - I am used to seeing it in nappies, is it usual to be so runny? It's like melted chocolate.

WowOoo Mon 21-Sep-09 15:28:06

I thought I'd never train DS. Then , he suddenly announced he was too big for nappies and led the way himself.

He still often resists going to loo if I suggest it and still has occassional accident. been trained for 6 weeks ish.

Sounds like your son may have a bit of diarrhea (sp?!!)Has he been eating loads of fruit or does he have little tummy bug? Should sort itself out I'm sure.

crumpet Mon 21-Sep-09 15:29:26

poo comes in many shapes and forms!

weaselm4 Tue 22-Sep-09 20:38:03

Hi IrishD, I just wanted to encourage you - my boy is also 3.6 and I was getting really stressed as we've had several goes at training and he's never seemed to know when he was going...

However, yesterday he asked to be put on the toilet during a nappy change and lo and behold, did a wee. He's had a couple of tiny accidents since then, but otherwise it seems that something clicked yesterday and he's in pants from now on! Hoorah! (I'm so relieved, it makes me well up writing this!)

I know it won't all be plain sailing, but hopefully this will happen for you too - one day in nappies, the next - sorted!

All the best.

IrishDraught Fri 25-Sep-09 07:00:59

He always poos like that - he drinks a ton of milk so I thought that may be causing it? I just left him naked the past few days and he has gone to the potty himself a few times for a proper wee grin Not just giving it a go and getting a dribble so I think there is a connection forming between needing to go and going, rather than just going. If he is in nappies though he never asks/does it - shall I just go out with changes of clothes and pants on, or just stay in nappies for outings still? Thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now