Talk

Advanced search

Wish me luck, potty training starts tomorrow

(18 Posts)
giddykipper Wed 16-Sep-09 20:07:02

I have chocolate buttons and Buzz Lightyear stickers.

And 4 potties.

And lots of Thomas pants.

giddykipper Thu 17-Sep-09 10:49:18

Starting well, one big wee on the potty so far.

<not holding breath too soon>

pasturesnew Thu 17-Sep-09 10:58:30

good luck, how old is your DS (or DD, just guessing from Thomas pants)?

We put off potty training until DS 2.9 due to moving house / starting mat leave etc. and touch wood it has been really quick and easy, v few accidents, choc buttons have really been the incentive par excellence.

giddykipper Thu 17-Sep-09 11:04:13

He's 2.4.

Just done his second wee (unprompted too, took himself off to the potty), wahey.

pasturesnew Thu 17-Sep-09 11:07:43

sounds fine. I think (hope?) if you can catch them when they want to do it, it can be straightforward, it's just something that you expect to be potentially problematic.

We're not giving chocolate buttons for wees any more, but he gets several for poos on the special seat on the toilet as he seems to be a bit nervous about doing these and needs more encouragement. He still gets buttons for wees on toilets outside the home though e.g. on trips out (even though he actually doesn't seem that bothered about it).

giddykipper Thu 17-Sep-09 11:09:18

I am expecting poos to be more problematic. I will definitely need to keep a close eye on him and whip him off to the potty when I can see 'that look' on his face.

pasturesnew Thu 17-Sep-09 11:13:00

DS needs to try a few times for a poo, he will look uncomfortable, have a brief try then get off saying, "it didn't come" and then we have to say, "do you want to try and have a poo on the loo and have lots of buttons" and then he will try again until it works, he is chuffed when it does though, I think he is holding on a bit ATM though so it is not that nice for him to do the deed at first.

pasturesnew Thu 17-Sep-09 11:13:53

we are giving him cereal for pudding after dinner and offering lots of apple juice

giddykipper Thu 17-Sep-09 12:48:55

First accident, he was preoccupied with eating his dinner and I was on the phone. Blame myself. He looked mortified though, so lots of cuddles.

He eats loads of fruit and granary bread, so I expect he will struggle to hold it all in! I wouldn't put it past him though. He has been farting all morning and I jump up at each one!

pasturesnew Thu 17-Sep-09 13:02:32

keep up the good work smile

giddykipper Thu 17-Sep-09 13:11:53

First poo! Yay. He looked terrified, bless him.

pasturesnew Thu 17-Sep-09 13:27:22

Little love! Hope he is enjoying his buttons and stickers!

matronmama Mon 28-Sep-09 15:12:36

I am reading these messages and they are filling me with fear! My son is 2.6 years and using the potty every night before a bath, and tells me when he's done a poo and needs a nappy change (as if I can't tell by the look on his face or the smell that follows...) Yet, whenever I even mention wearing his Thomas pants or sitting on the potty after breakfast he gets into such a paddy!
So how is it going? Have you succeeded? Any tips for a very nervous mum? And I know I need to relax first, but how can you when all this is to come??

redclover79 Mon 28-Sep-09 16:11:42

matronmama, we had huge strops here for the first week of pottytraining. DS2 was happy to wee on the potty but did not like to take his nappy off and go into pants after the schoolrun! I just had to persevere through the tantrums and now I let him poo in his nappy before the schoolrun and change him into pants before we leave. He's not protested once and much prefers to be out and about in pants now.
giddykipper congratulations to your ds!

Nikna Tue 29-Sep-09 16:24:42

hi, glad to read you are having success. i plan to start next week. need to stock up on choccy buttons and more 'big boys pants. my ds is 2.4 yrs old and ready, but i have the same problem as matronmama, so think we need to do the cold turkey thing.

mumofjemima Tue 29-Sep-09 20:51:21

We did it gradually with training pants & sitting on the toilet from about 1 year and went for it at about 19 months and she's been dry day and night now since before she was two which is great and she's really happy so i can definately recommend.

two friends just trained their 2.5 year olds (one girl one boy) and it pretty much took about a week (with pretty good results after about 3 or 4 days).

You definately have to just go for it with the big boy pants as it's only then it's real for them. the girl was a bit stroppy and still holds onto both wee and poo a bit (she sometimes goes for 5 hours without going) but getting better now after another couple of days.

I got a 'wee cushion' from an ebay seller which is great - I think type in potty training & it's about £6 . I think the seller is busybots or something like that. It goes in the car seat or pushchair and is meant to be able to absorb up to 1/2 pint liquid if they have an accident.

Sympathise with the point above that at first when they have accidents it's nearly always your own fault as not paying attention or you forgot to take them to the toilet before leaving the house etc.

best of luck!

mumofjemima Tue 29-Sep-09 20:51:55

p.s. Gina ford toilet training in a week book is really good.

groundhogs Sat 03-Oct-09 00:04:45

mumofjemima - bang on.. her books are spot on, without fail.

matronmama - boys do that, mine kicked up a massive fuss even at the potty thing.. that's the pain barrier we all have to go through.. dunno if girls are the same...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now