Talk

Advanced search

Please please help my [in 2 weeks] four year old will NOT poo on a potty or loo.....

(4 Posts)
IamAlsoADreamerOfWine Tue 15-Sep-09 15:27:03

and as we just moved abroad is constantly fussing for a nappy even to do wees.
I gave in today and am generally realaxed about it but he is coming upp to four!!!
He will hold his wee until the last minute always has done and probably only does one'big'one if no nappy.
He will ask for a nappy for his poo and when he does I say shall we try on the toilet and a look of sheer panic crosses his face.
we have tried to make it fun, bribery we managed a couple of times to actually get him on the toilet but he just says he acan't do it. I have tried putting his nappy on when he is asleep but he just held on to his poo for three days.
PLease help
I want to ditch the nappy but is it him not ready or just him being a little bit of a monkey?
help

jumpingjules Tue 15-Sep-09 19:03:35

Have you tried asking him sit on the loo/potty and try and do a poo with the nappy still on? If he persists in holding on to poo you get real troubles. We had this with my son when he was three after a bout of severe vomitting and diorreha. If they hold on for too long (encropresis) it then hurts when they do go, then they get scared and hold on and a real vicious circle starts. we went on like this for 9 months until i got this book from Amazon. it is not about toilet training but it will advise you on the holding on thing. good luck.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Constipation-Withholding-Your-Child-Soiling/dp/1843104911/ref=sr1 1?ie=UTF8&qid=1253037623&sr=1-1-fkmr0

fishflange Tue 15-Sep-09 19:16:27

snap! Mine (boy ) is 4 in 3 weeks. Won't do it. Does it in pants or asks for a nappy.
This morning I asked why (he is very articulate) he said he likes it, it's nice.
I have given up. Hopefully he'll sort it out by the time he's in school next year.

Sorry that's no help, just to say you're not alone...

ps we got 'it hurts when I poo' from Amazon. Didn't make blind bit of difference!

IamAlsoADreamerOfWine Tue 15-Sep-09 19:57:09

fishflange thank god for you!!jumpingjules thankyou also.
Tbh My stepson when he was 5 used to hold his poo and it caused real problems hence why I dont really want to make him wait ifyswi and why I always end up giving his nappy.
I am just soo embarrased that we can't crack this he is nearly 4 fgs.
I know it shouldn't matter what other people think but even my mum gave up -we had to stay there 3 weeks before moving here [kuwait] and it's not the move he has always been like this.
I did try put a nappy in the toilet and even a potty but nothing.
I have tonight resorted [maybe] to bribery-he would really like a nintendo ds but I have so far resisted and I said to him tonight thatif he can do his poos on the loo that amybe we can think about getting one[as a christmas present]cos big boys can play with nintendos
do you know what he said -'I changed my mind I don't want a nintendo poo in my nappy nice -yes that better'
So I dunno -what are you gonna do fishy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now