Talk

Advanced search

Four months in and 2.10 dd still not asking to use the toilet. Do I just give up?

(5 Posts)
FanjolinaJolie Fri 04-Sep-09 16:43:59

We started toilet training dd2 in April (Easter hols) and it didn't go particularly well at the time, but at the end of the holidays we had made some progress. Looking back I can see she wasn't ready and I have read that if they aren't dry within three days then they are not ready. Ok, I understand she wasn't ready loud and clear. Anyway, we struggled on and I was determined not go backwards as I thought at 2.6 she could 'get it' as dd1 had done easily at an earlier age. Clearly I have two very different children!

DD2 still doens't ask to use the potty for wees and it's me who takes her off to the loo, her knickers are often wet/damp as if she's started then stopped, then holds on to the rest. She'll usually go when I take her but she does sometimes refuse, so I accept her saying no and just leave it.

But she does take herself off to the loo for poos and can do this all by herself. Success there

The only time we have better success is when I leave her knickers off and have a 'bare bottom' day she is better at going by herself but the downside is the little dribbles that would be in her knickers are on the floor. This is very frustrating. We have done sticker charts, special knickers, sweets, loads of praise etc.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully accepted.

mum2oneloudbaby Mon 07-Sep-09 13:05:35

i had this problem with dd of not asking and always having little dribble in pants when taken. i borrowed the little princess i want my potty book from a friend and read it with dd loads of times and made lots of fuss shouting 'i want my potty' (she found it very funny and copied). so far it seems to be working 3 days in. still had a little dribble a couple of times but she does shout now so it's an improvement.

CarrieBo Thu 08-Oct-09 14:38:27

I could have written this thread myself about my dd, except we started in Feb, and she won't do poos. Bumping incase more advice comes along, and I'll look out for that book!

ches Thu 08-Oct-09 17:34:54

She will get there, just be patient. You can stick a panty liner in her knickers if the changing undies is getting you down.

DianaTibble Thu 08-Oct-09 19:41:38

Hi whaT i DID WAS ASKED MY CHILDREN TO ASK THEIR BLADDER IF IT WAS FULL BY GENTLY PRESSING IT IE:JUST ABOVE THEIR PUBIC BONE...THEN i'D DO THE SAME AND SAY OH YES MINE IS SAYING ITS A BIT FULL AND i 'D JUST GO OFF TO THE LOO, OFTEN THERE WAS A MOCK FIGHT AS TO WHO WOULD GO FIRST....LETS FACE IT SHE WONT BE LEAKING AT 16 YEARS OLD !!!!SO SHE TAKES A WHILE TO GET THE HANG OF IT, SO WHAT ...SHE WILL! (OOPS capital letters was on!)good luck diana xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now