Talk

Advanced search

Boys; how do you get them to wee inside the potty/toilet and not down the front of it?

(9 Posts)
claireybee Wed 02-Sep-09 12:51:30

DS is 21 months, I'm not training him yet but he keeps asking to sit on the toilet and takes his nappy off a lot during the day.

Today we're at home so I'm letting him go bare bummed, he's weed a few times on the floor, twice on the loo and twice in the potty. He'll sit on the loo but wants to stand to wee in the potty. Both sitting and standing have problems; sitting his wee shoots out forwards and goes on top of the loo seat and down the front of it, standing he just sprays it in the general direction of the potty and misses a lot.

He's not keen on sitting on the potty would a potty chair be any better?

How do I position him/his willy when sitting to make his wee go into the toilet?

Any other tips for boys gratefully received smile

frogs Wed 02-Sep-09 12:53:09

You teach him to sit well back and push his willy back so it points downwards.

claireybee Wed 02-Sep-09 14:16:54

Is it that simple? blush

bodiddly Wed 02-Sep-09 14:37:41

as frogs said ... I went for the chair seats though as I found the smaller potties too diddy. Just remind him everytime he sits down to tuck his willy in. I would steer clear of standing up weeing until he has more control. Ds is 4.5 and he still pees sitting down.

frogs Wed 02-Sep-09 19:54:41

Oh gawd, don't let him stand up to wee, it'll go everywhere. Plus at the early stages of training they can't always tell the difference between needing a wee and needing a poo. Nuff said.

Sit down, sit back and push yer willy down, that's all he needs to know for now. He'll work out for himself how to use a urinal when he's at school. In any case at some stage he'll be caught short when out and about, so save the 'big boy standing up weewee' for then. Even so it'll go all over his trousers. If you do lots of long car journeys you may want to teach him to wee in an empty plastic drinks bottle, not that we've ever done that in our house, oh no. wink

ches Thu 03-Sep-09 05:20:25

DS has stood up to wee since about 20 months. It goes straight into the toilet. He has a little step stool and he doesn't need to try and aim, it just goes in. He points his percy down while sat to make a poo, but I think he was older when he had to learn that. WRT potties, it took ages to find one he fit on. Fisher Price Froggie Friend potty was the only one that worked.

Eaglebird Sat 03-Oct-09 23:35:04

DS is 22 months. Haven't started potty training properly yet, but have had a potty for a few months so that DS gets used to seeing it and sitting on it.
For the past few weeks DS has been asking a few times a day to sit on the potty, so I take his nappy off and he sits down. He concentrates really hard, and usually squeezes a wee out to rapturous applause.
Now he seems to have become fascinated with watching the wee squirt out (after watching his Dad wee standing up into the toilet), and now he stands on all fours over the potty, and invariably wees on the floor unless I quickly move the potty so as to catch the wee.
What to do?
Should I ask DP to sit on the toilet for wees when DS is watching, so DS will copy him??

Just curious really. Haven't started potty training in earnest yet, just wondering what's the best approach to take.

cheeseandeyeballsarnie Sat 03-Oct-09 23:44:15

when he gets to standing age-put a ping pong ball in the potty/tiolet for aim practise.

ChilloHippi Sat 03-Oct-09 23:45:35

We have a potty chair and find it much easier. I always say 'make sure your willy is pointing down' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now