Talk

Advanced search

Would you start potty training just before child starts nursery?

(7 Posts)
Purplepanettone Sat 29-Aug-09 18:37:37

He is three now. We started potty training a few months ago, but he wasn't ready and was getting anxious about accidents, so we decided to stop and to leave it a few months for him to forget about his worries.

Since then it has been the school holidays and with three children in the house, I didn't think it would be a good idea. He now starts nursery next Thursday. Should I start potty training so he has a few days to get used to it, or give him two or three weeks at nursery first?

I suspect you are all going to say the latter ...
Thanks

girlsyearapart Sat 29-Aug-09 20:25:34

Guessing the nursery doesn;t have a requirement that they arrive potty trained then?
If not then leave it. The first week or two are the most 'accident' filled and he will be engrossed in new activities which will make things worse.
Hope he enjoys nursery!

ches Sat 29-Aug-09 23:44:05

I would. Who knows how he'd feel at nursery if all the other kids are out of nappies. The "peer pressure" of them all having potty breaks will help him crack it if he hasn't already. Good luck!

ShannaraTiger Mon 31-Aug-09 11:43:02

I'm in the same situation ds starts playgroup on Monday. I've brought out the big boy pants and told him nappies are now only for night time. Was thinking of putting him in pull ups when we're out and for playgroup for the first few weeks though, but I'm not sure. Anyway good luck purple I hope he settles into nursery well.

Purplepanettone Mon 31-Aug-09 16:58:48

Thanks, you too Tiger

norktasticninja Mon 31-Aug-09 17:13:08

I'd say go for it! Ches makes a good point about the peer pressure at nursery. From what I've read pull ups can be confusing, after all they look and feel pretty much the same as nappies, feel like nappies and work like nappies too.

If you'd like a bit of absorbency for safeties sake how about trying some washable trainer pants? They look and feel a lot more like proper pants IYSWIM. They'll hold one wee and he'll feel wet so be aware of what he's done.

Good luck!

norktasticninja Mon 31-Aug-09 17:13:50

Ooops that was rather garbled!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now