Talk

Advanced search

what makes a good potty?

(10 Posts)
oobs Mon 17-Aug-09 14:01:07

hi my daughter's 15 months old now and i'd like to start encouraging her to sit on a potty.

she's got a trainer seat for the loo already but she doesn't like at all.

so, i've been looking all over for potties. little did i know it wasn't just a case of picking up a cheap bit of plastic...

so far i reckon it needs to be non-slip, stable, easy to clean, not too low and comfortable too, and it should have a carry handle...?
is there anythign else i need to consider?

is it worth buying an expensive one eg the baby bjorn potty chair? or should i forget all my research and just get a cheapy one?

and why does mumsnet not review potties?!

oh and can anyone shed any light on the removable insert potties vs ones that don't have this feature?

CybilLiberty Mon 17-Aug-09 14:02:47

Get cheap ones. They are all much of a muchnes. Do not overthink it. Get lots of them and have one in each room.

TheChilliMooseTalksNonsense Mon 17-Aug-09 14:05:26

We have one of these for DS. It's not too low, and the bowl just lifts out from the chair so it is easy to clean. DS sticks a sticker on it whenever he does a wee in it. smile Mothercare do it in other colours too.

shazbean Mon 17-Aug-09 14:10:24

We just started potty training with our 2 year old DD. We got this potty
http://www.boots.com/en/Born-2-Shop-Potty-Pink_52892/
in March and she played with it (sitting on it, using it to climb on the furntiture etc) until about a week ago when she started using it. The main thing is that it has a raised front (so as not to spray everywhere.. smile). We also have a wee seat that fits over the toilet seat upstairs and so far so good! Good luck with your training, I think the throne/seat varieties are just to get more money out of you and agree that the cheaper the better - its not like you are gonna keep it once you're finished??!!

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 14:12:37

buy lots of cheap ones and scatte rhem round the house

the Ikea £1.99 ones are pretty good

shazbean Mon 17-Aug-09 14:15:08

oops sorry just noticed you said she didn't like the trainer seat.

TheChilliMooseTalksNonsense Mon 17-Aug-09 14:15:18

I just find that the cheaper ones are too small and DS isn't comfortable on them. He's in no way a big child though.

Egg Mon 17-Aug-09 14:19:43

We bought the small baby bjorn one and DS1 didn't like it but loved the baby bjorn potty chair. He did however train quite late (age 3+) so found the small one too low on the ground making his legs v bent up.

josette Mon 17-Aug-09 14:27:28

I like the slightly see-through ones so you can keep an eye on what is happening in the potty via looking through the side without having to keep moving your dd/ds.
Today is our first day of potty training. My ds is 23 months old so I thought we would have a go.
I also got a big square of waterproof table cloth material from Dunelm to have on the floor under the potty.
Good luck!

oobs Mon 17-Aug-09 15:04:43

thanks for your replies everyone. i guess i'll start with a cheap one and take it from there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now