Talk

Advanced search

Advice on not potty training!

(8 Posts)
EyeballsintheSky Thu 13-Aug-09 11:49:34

OK, this is a weird one, possibly a bit PFB blush

DD is just turned 19 months. For a good few months now she has hated the nappy and we have had battles to get one on her. She will also try to take it off if at all possible. Normal stuff so far.

For the last fortnight or so, she has taken herself off to the potty and, when nappy is removed she does a wee. Has only happened a handful of times to be fair. Is this standard stuff?

I hadn't planned on attempting to train until about 2.5yrs so I'm hoping I'm seeing signs where there aren't any IYSWIM. I'm probably being PFB and thinking she's really advanced but I don't want to be thinking about this for ages yet. So please slap me down and tell me she's far too young and it's just a fluke

Not pfb smile, ds stopped wearing nappies at home in the day at 18 months, was competely potty trained (by day) by his second birthday, I thought this was pretty good going

but

Dd at 17 months already wears no nappies during the day at home, and does everything on the potty or toilet (bar the odd accident)

However, she wears nothing at the bottom, well nothing at all most of the time actually, she like to be nudegrin, there is no way she could pull anything down.

She is also not talking yet, so she can't tell me she needs to go, she just gets on the potty by herself or bangs her toilet seat on the loo until I put it on for hergrin.

CMOTdibbler Thu 13-Aug-09 11:57:52

Just go with the flow - if she goes to the potty, then praise her. If you are going to the loo yourself, offer her a wee whilst you are there. You can let her be nappyless in the garden with the potty around too.

When eventually she has a dry nappy all day, move her into pants

muddleduck Thu 13-Aug-09 11:58:45

"Potty Training" and "using a potty" don't need to be the same thing. I'd continue letting her use the potty as much as she likes while still wearing a nappy in between and without doing any explicit training or expecting her to be dry. See how it goes.

For example, for ages while ds2 was in nappies he would always do a wee in the potty at bathtime. It just became something that he did. I think this made it much easier when we did decide to put him in pants (at 2.5) as he knew how it all worked.

So I'd encourage her to use the potty if she wants but not put any pressure on her to be dry yet.

EyeballsintheSky Thu 13-Aug-09 12:01:43

Hmmm... thanks She loves running round with a bare bum and has only had a couple of tiny accidents so I might let her instead of running after her with a nappy and see what happens

I bloody knew she'd try to ditch the nappies asap. Story of her life!

EyeballsintheSky Thu 13-Aug-09 12:04:45

Yes sorry, I didn't really mean potty training as such. I hadn't even thought far enough ahead to know whether I was even going to use one. I bought it about 6 months ago because she saw it had Tombliboos on it and made a fuss. Thought it wouldn't do any harm to have it round the house.

I have no expectations about trying to get her dry. My thinking was waiting until she was old enough to pretty much tell me she didn't want the nappy and I wasn't expecting that for another year or so.

muddleduck Thu 13-Aug-09 12:23:31

I got ds2 out of nappies well before he could tell me what he wanted (late speaker). In her own way she is "telling" you that she doesn't want the nappy grin

FWIW I'm a big fan of early potty training if your child is up for it - saves loads of hassle if you both can do it and its great to get it done before they enter the really stroppy phase. smile

CMOTdibbler Thu 13-Aug-09 12:29:02

I expected to not potty train till DS was 3 tbh - everyone told me that boys weren't ready till then. He went into pants as was consistently using the potty/toilet on his own without reminders the week he was 2 (he had chickenpox, so had had a whole week at home in the nude, so had had a chance to see it was OK).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now