Talk

Advanced search

Day 1 did not go well

(3 Posts)
mejon Mon 10-Aug-09 21:34:58

DD was 3 last Monday and has been using the potty for wees and occasional poos for several months - though still in nappies. Over the last month or so she's been taking her nappy off at every opportunity (and her clothes!) Since her 4.5 year old cousin visited a couple of weeks ago, she's been regularly asking to use the toilet in preference over the potty. I thought we were ready... We started 'proper' potty training this morning and she's gone through at least 8 pairs of pants. I've been asking if she wants a wee every 20 minutes or so with negative replies though she has managed to wee in the potty by herself a couple of times. I tried to put her on the toilet every hour or so but this failed spectacularly as she got hysterical and refused to sit on it so I didn't pursue this. She pooed on the carpet though came to tell me straight away that she'd done it.

I know there is no 'normal' and that it is early days but I really did think she'd 'get it' better than this. We tried before at Easter but I gave up after half a day blush. Any words of wisdom/advice greatfully appreciated.

kitkatqueen Tue 11-Aug-09 01:52:43

Sounds like my dd2, she got there in the end, it was much easier when we took her pants off, they felt ( i think) too much like her nappy and so she wasn't thinking about the new situation and forgeting that she needed to do it in her potty.

after 2 days of no pants she was coming on in leaps and bounds

I also give yummy type rewards for every "hit" in the potty ( even if half goes on the floor or its jus a drip), stickers are good too whatever motivates imo

Good luck!

mejon Tue 11-Aug-09 07:54:25

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I forgot all about getting some 'rewards' in as she'd been doing so well in the past few weeks in asking to go regularly. I finally remembered I had some cooking chocolate drops in the fridge so offered those as an incentive which worked once (but it was late afternoon by then). I'll try and get some bribes stickers when I go into town tomorrow - she loves stickers! May try without pants today to see if that makes a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now