Talk

Advanced search

My DD 2.5 started potty training.....refusues to go on potty..

(10 Posts)
hayleybop Mon 10-Aug-09 14:42:18

1st day was fine, put on knickers and she went on the potty 3 times...few mistakes, no poos at yet...
Been potty training a week now and she has only gone on the potty the first day. She refuses now and she is waking up at night..She is normally a brilliant sleeper.
Should I wait and start agin in a month?
I'm not agressive potty training, I ask her a few times a day if she wants to go on the potty, she wears knickers all the time!!

KembleTwins Mon 10-Aug-09 14:46:17

I had a similar issue with my DTs, although one was fine with it and the other wasn't angry I ended up leaving it with the DT who wasn't up for it, and returning to it a couple of months later, at which point it was an almost instant transition. I'm a big advocate of leaving them until they're ready. Of course, I only say that because mine were both ready well before they were 3. Perhaps if they were 6 I'd think again... Your DT is only 2.5 though, so if it were me, I'd leave it.

jay11 Mon 10-Aug-09 17:48:57

Same here, although dd2 is only on day 2 of wearing pants. Started off really well sat afternoon with her asking to go now we have wees on the floor seconds after asking if she needs to go. Also no poos on the potty. I know from ds that its time to give up when they start going backwards!! Tbh she was doing well when I was letting her take the lead rather than going cold turkey - in fact, she had a dry nappy last wed and lots of wee's in the potty. Although she is showing all the right signs of being ready, she can be very negative and argumentative when she wants to be.

Anyway, I'm gonna try again in a month or so - now just gotta persuade her to go back to the nappies hmm

jay11 Mon 10-Aug-09 17:53:22

Btw dd2 is only 2.3 so plenty of time!!

jay11 Mon 10-Aug-09 18:40:28

grrr got the nappy on and straight away she asks and does a massive wee on the potty!! Might go against everything I believe in and get some training pants. . .

hayleybop Mon 10-Aug-09 20:13:32

Thats brilliant, success for you then. I'm leaving it for a while...whats your technique?

Allypally77 Mon 10-Aug-09 21:28:23

I'm reading all your posts and wondering what I should do with my ds (2.8.) Refusing to go on potty now after a good start. Very stubborn, but well aware of what is going on, good speaker - even better at diversion tactics! He's absolutely adamant he wants to wear the pants.
May bin the potty, nappies etc tomorrow and go for the 'big boy' approach. If still not going well after the weekend, I'll be digging in the bin for the nappies again...!
Good luck with yours, whichever way you choose to go.

jay11 Mon 10-Aug-09 22:19:04

Hayleybop, with my first 2 I did the Gina Ford method ie cold turkey no pull-ups/nappies putting on pot every 15 mins etc which obviously has worked.

With dd2 I decided on a more gentle approach - have spent the last 2/3 months introducing her to the pot which has gradually led to her doing wees on it (but no poos hmm). Basically letting her take the lead. I'm usually against wearing pull-ups and didn't use them with my first 2 but they might work on this occassion.

Dunno which method would suit your dd but good idea to lay off for a while - perhaps ask her in a few weeks if she wants to wear her pants even if it's just round the house. Let me know how you get on!

Allypally, perhaps you should try pants round the house for a few days - he might suprise you!! Good luck smile

smallorange Mon 10-Aug-09 22:23:53

chocolate buttons - works every time...

jay11 Tue 11-Aug-09 15:05:39

yep forgot to say I'm using smarties!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now