Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I doing the right thing or am I messing with DS's mind?

(4 Posts)
TheDuckSaysMoo Sun 09-Aug-09 22:54:24

DS is 21 months. We have had a potty in the bathroom for a few months but had no intention of thinking about potty training until next spring or summer. It is there just to talk about and get used to at the moment. He occassionally sits on it, copying me. When he did this last week I asked him if he wanted to do a pee pee in his potty and took his nappy of to see what he would do. To my amazement he did a pee and therefore he got lots of praise.

Since then I have been asking him a couple of times a day if he wants to use his potty and, when he says yes, he has used it for both pees and poos (with lots of praise). However he never asks to use it even though his language is good enough to do so and he rarely tells me if he has a dirty nappy.

I am therefore intending to carry on with the ad hoc use of the potty rather than embarking on potty training now. Does this sound sensible or do you think it will confuse him?

Thanks

Cadelaide Sun 09-Aug-09 22:57:43

God, yes, I'd carry on as you are.

Sounds great to me (as the parent of a 3.2yo DS who won't go anywhere near a potty or loo or anything grin)

LynetteScavo Sun 09-Aug-09 23:12:42

It won't confuse him. When you are ready to "potty train" take off his nappy, tell hi to use the potty from now on, and don't look back. smile

TheDuckSaysMoo Sun 09-Aug-09 23:42:46

Thanks. I am over the moon that he is doing this at all but I am usually an all or nothing type of person so was a bit hmm at this half and half approach I seem to be doing.

Damn these kids for making us more flexible! wink

Good luck Cadelaide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now