Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

21 month old wants to use the potty, hates nappies but I think he is far too young, how do I handle this?

(10 Posts)
PrincessToadstool Sat 08-Aug-09 10:49:16

He says 'wee wee' and points to the potty/toilet (I bought the potty just to have around to make it a normal thing in the house, that's all)

so I happily take his trousers and nappy off and if he does a wee lots of praise but if he gets up and wants to walk off then we put his nappy back on.

Am happy with this but he seems really angry at having his nappy back on (sometimes) but if left without it he will wee everywhere and I feel is too young to know really.

I think he is too young, barely talking, how is best to handle this?

I was not even going to think about using the potty until next Spring or Summer really.

HeadFairy Sat 08-Aug-09 10:50:47

I'd go for it, I'd love ds to be that co-operative. My sister's two dds were totally potty trained at 18 months. We use the same childminder and she's really in to early potty training, she's training her grandson who's only 9 months shock but she's always telling me I should get started with ds as he's 22 months now. We can't for practical reasons, but if I could I really would.

Mung Sat 08-Aug-09 10:55:38

Why is he too young. He is giving you signs that he wants to do it, so go along with it for a few weeks. It will be hard work, but worth it in the long run. Both of my DCs came out of nappies at 18 months old and it took about a month of asking, checking constantly and wiping up the odd accident but it meant no nappy changing...thats surely a good thing. They both showed signs like your DS and I just went with it. I must admit that it shocked me with DC1, as I wasn't prepared for it myself.

Good luck...now is a good time to do it as you can dry the clothes easily.

BertieBotts Sat 08-Aug-09 11:00:22

Could you do some nappy-free time each day? Maybe outside if it is nice or otherwise in a non-carpeted room if poss, or even put newspaper/towels down and keep offering the potty every 15 minutes or so. If he does wee on the carpet, get some shampoo for toilet training dogs as this will neutralise the ammonia and stop it smelling.

Does he have proper nappies or pull ups? Maybe if you move to pull ups they will seem more like pants?

For the talking issue if he can say "wee wee" that is all he needs, really?

PrincessToadstool Sat 08-Aug-09 11:02:32

Thanks HF and mung. I guess i had him down as too young because everyone goes on about boys being slower, and having no older siblings to copy, and also i guess the lack of speech - wee wee is his new phrase so i am surprised byhow quickly he is using it to indicate what he wants, iykwim.

He is in nursery 3 days a week but only for another month, jacking it in to be a SAHM, should i wait until then to really go for it? Pull ups or pants?

Sorry for typos etc on ipod and bad at it!

PrincessToadstool Sat 08-Aug-09 11:05:29

Thanks bertie, yes can def do nappy free time, luckily have mostly floor boards except a rug, could remove it for now. We'll get some pull ups then and see how he finds them.

claireybee Sat 08-Aug-09 11:07:53

DD did the same at 22 months, she did well initially but then lost interest a bit and it took a year before she was reliably dry. If he is showing interest then I'd go for it, can you maybe spend a couple of days with him bare bummed really encouraging him to use the potty and see how he gets on?

HeadFairy Sat 08-Aug-09 11:09:48

I would avoid pull ups, just get lots of pants and be prepared to change them if he has accidents... pull ups prevent them from knowing when they've wet themselves.

If your nursery are prepared to help I would say start now while he's showing signs of interest, as they might be gone in a month or so... however if it's more practical for you to wait a month then wait. Of course the advantage of doing it now is that you can take advantage of the warmer weather and your ds can just walk around in a tee shirt and pants if it helps.

LittleHarrysMum Sat 08-Aug-09 11:20:19

Absolutely go for it!! My DS started showing signs a bit earlier than expected and I ignored it and kept him in nappies and it took a whole 6 months before he wanted to do it again. Wish I'd just gone with it when I had the chance!

Agree no pull ups get him used to pants and just be ready for accidents! Good luck he sounds like a lovely little boy!

PrincessToadstool Sat 08-Aug-09 12:29:46

thanks everyone, we'll get some pants, a spare potty, and see how the weekend goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now