Talk

Advanced search

Potty mad toddler won't go to sleep - help!

(8 Posts)
Schulte Tue 04-Aug-09 20:10:38

We have just potty trained DD1 (2.4) with great success. However, she now won't go to sleep in the evening because she keeps 'needing' the loo. She's in a pull-up nappy at night but she'll claim that she needs a wee every 10 minutes or so, and wander into the bathroom. We've been going upstairs to help her when we hear her traipsing about (and to make sure she washes her hands afterwards!), but really I am starting to get quite p'd off with it all as I think it's just a delaying tactic because she doesn't want to go to sleep. On the other hand, I don't want to forbid her to use the loo because I don't want to undo the good work she's done so far. So what do I do? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - I have also got a 3 month old baby and am tired and want my evenings back!

WhatFreshHellIsThis Tue 04-Aug-09 21:13:37

Does she use the loo or a potty? You could put the potty in her room so she doesn't have to traipse around so much - maybe it would lose its appeal quicker that way?

the thing is, she will get bored of it in time, but you don't want to go undoing all the hard work you've put in by making this into an issue. You might have to ride this one out....

BoffinMum Tue 04-Aug-09 21:16:10

Put a potty next to her bed and a night light nearby? Tell her to get with it and forget about handwashing for these wees.

BoffinMum Tue 04-Aug-09 21:18:10

Xposts! Great minds ...

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Tue 04-Aug-09 21:19:36

We put a potty in the bedroom for DD and as BoffinMum said didn't worry about the handwashing and let her get on with it.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Tue 04-Aug-09 21:19:36

we are indeed, Boffin, we are indeed wink

JennyPenny22 Tue 04-Aug-09 23:12:14

Yes I would just stick the potty in her room. If you are that worried about germs, you can get some of the hand gel that cleans without water - but get a child friendly ones without all the chemicals. Won't do her any harm not to wash them at night though. You could always just say that she can wash her hands when she gets up in the morning?

Schulte Wed 05-Aug-09 07:43:52

Thanks everyone, yes potty in the room sounds like a good plan. If she just uses the potty I'm happy for her not to wash her hands, at the moment she goes to the loo, opens it, puts her seat on, climbs on etc, putting both hands in the bowl in the process grin and her nasty Upsy Daisy too. I am sort of hoping that one day Daisy will get flushed down the loo accidentally wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now