Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else taken a nappy off today for good?

(65 Posts)
melsy Mon 20-Jul-09 12:02:31

Think I might need some support to get through a very long day!

Im really trying to keep my patience at bay, as I have an extremely stubborn 2.11yr old dd2!

I have bought chocolates as a treat for going but shes already had a tantrum as I wouldnt give her any unless she goes on the potty and actually does a we as apposed to just sitting there. (harsh aren't I, but this lovely girl gets given an inch and takes a mile)!!!!

Oh my worrrrrrd , I know you shouldn't compare, but dd1 was sooooo easy in comparison, 3 days and done , well on the dry front anyway. Poos were another story!

This is our 2nd attempt since Easter hols. That was a nightmare as she wouldn't go on the potty or toilet without a fight. Today there seems to be more promise as she was so excited this morning. She was so good on the school run for dd1 and even went on the potty herself to sit a few times before we left, but as yet no wee! Except one accident walking back home from the shops to buy her treat.

hmm may be I should give her a little choc for her efforts this morn?????

melsy Mon 20-Jul-09 14:04:41

Oh how I miss Cods training bootcamp.

Have I really got to do this with no other training chumps!???

midnightexpress Mon 20-Jul-09 14:08:40

I'm a week in with ds2 (2.6)). He's doing fine at home, but he goes to nursery 3 mornings a week and doesn't seem to be able to manage there sad. I wouldn't mind, but it was their flamin' idea to try it now - we were all for leaving it for another couple of months - he's only justmoved up a room and they want to get them all out of nappies asap hmm.

Re the rewards, once we were past the first week or so with ds1 I remember that the rewards were given for no accidents rather than for each offering on the potty/loo and that might be worth a try. So, if your dd manages a morning/afternoon without any accidents then she gets her reward.

melsy Mon 20-Jul-09 14:19:32

Do you think hes anxious at nursery about things? Its hard when we have to push them when theyre not quite ready yet.

Think the choc for not having accidents is a good idea next week poss. I think I just need to encourage her to go in the 1st place right now! Its been nearly 4hrs and shes done NOTHING yet. She wont drink that much either. I just want her to get used to the sensation.

At least shes not fighting me as much as shes done before, thats a positive!!

tootsweets Mon 20-Jul-09 14:50:57

Hi there,

Took the nappy off my dd this morning. She is 2.5. One poo accident so far. Forgotten how stressful it is. Am poised with the potty and watching her every move!

melsy Mon 20-Jul-09 15:29:37

Anything in the potty yet tootsweets?

I cant believe its nearly 3:30 and shes only done 2 wees and neither in the potty.As soon as I posted there was one all over the kitchen chair!!!! Its not so much that theyre not in potty,(to be expected), I just cant believe shes only needed 2 go twice.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH Im near to pulling hair out, shes been whining for 10 minutes now asking for chocolate!

Please mummy please mummy over and over and over and over.

if I have to do another role play with peppa pig I will scream!!!!!!!!!!

midnightexpress Mon 20-Jul-09 15:43:21

We tried to just get ds2 to sit on his potty for a few minutes after meals last week (in front of the TV blush) to get him used to it, and that worked quite well. The main problem was that he is quite chunky of thigh, so getting his thighs and the tackle into the right position on a potty is a bit tricky so I've moved onto trying to get him to sit on the loo instead. I guess this is not an issue with girls!

Oh, and rather than chocolate, we're doing stickers on a star chart, with vague promise of a 'treat' when the chart is full of stickers. He seems quite happy with that. And we're thinking of making it quite a big reward, like a race track for his cars.

My argh moment (nursery trauma apart) is that ds1, who has been dry and completely without accidents for about a year has wet himself twice in the last 24 hours hmm.

katedan Mon 20-Jul-09 21:23:26

LOgged on this evening to find other potty training buddies. Took nappies off DT's today and results are rubbish on the whole but I guess it is early days.

Twin 1 had three wee accidents and two poo's on potty!!!

Twin 2 had four wet accidents no potty success.

I really thought twin 2 was ready and twin 1 was not ready but based on todays results as usual mummy knew nothing!!!

They both wet themselves at playchool this afternoon and neither used the potty but it was probably very unfair on playschool to drop them off in pants on the first day of potty training!

I will see how tommorrow goes and then decided weather to continue with one, two or none!!!

midnightexpress Tue 21-Jul-09 09:31:44

Wow Katedan, potty-training twins. Respect!

<sound of mind boggling>

Good luck today everyone!

petunia Tue 21-Jul-09 10:29:45

I took DD3s (aged 3.3 - doing it at this older age because her sisters were this age when they 'got' the idea of potty training) nappy off yesterday.
Had several accidents but manage to 'catch' a poo (more by luck than anything else!) in the potty and she had a huge wee after a short nap yesterday afternoon.
What complicates this all a bit is that DD3 has a slight language delay (being seen by the speech therapist at playgroup), so I've no idea whether I even should be attempting this or doing anything different.
Anyway, on to Day 2 and keep going for the moment!

katedan Tue 21-Jul-09 14:00:38

Well it half way through day one and I have put twin 2 back in nappies, I was so stressed following the two of them around with the potty and with DS off school from tommorrow for 6 weeks I have decided to keep P/T twin 1 and so far we have had one wee on potty and one accident. She appears to be a racehorse, does not go very often but when she does she floods the floor!!

How often are you reminded your DC about using the potty? I feel like I am reminding er every 10 mins and any success is when I read books to her while she sits on potty!

How are you all doing?

Kate

petunia Tue 21-Jul-09 15:32:26

No success so far but had 2 accidents, which DD3 didn't seem to notice that she'd done and she just sat there in wet pants. Have tried reading to her while she sat on the potty but although we went through several Charlie and Lola books, nothing materialised.
I'm reminding DD3 about the potty every 10-20 minutes or so.

petunia Tue 21-Jul-09 19:50:06

Oh dear, not a very good day. I think we got a slight trickle in the potty this evening but then DD stood up and everything else went on the floor.
Oh well, try again tomorrow. Hope everyone else had a better day.

iwantitnow Tue 21-Jul-09 21:27:22

DD decided it was potty training time herself last week, a week earlier than I planned at 2.7 years old. I am sick plus have a 4 month old so not great timing but have had few accidents and no accidents the last 2 days. Although yesterday the novelty had worn off and she was shouting nappy alot but I didn't give in. Took the idea from Elizabeth Pantley to wrap up lots of little presents in a bowl and give one for each success, one smartie/chocolate buttons did not cut the mustard with DD. I got lots of little pieces for a goldilocks set from the ELC and wrapped them up - so she opened the bears, the beds, the bowls of porridge etc... very successful technique.

melsy Tue 21-Jul-09 21:40:16

Hi katedan and petunia ,welcome to the wee club!!!

Woooa Katedan , I so can understand your stress with doing 2 of them at the same time!!

Petunia , suppose you go with what you feel is working or not. Dd2 fought me so bad Easter hols I just knew it wasnt going to work very well.

Didnt get a chance to come here at all today, had an appt this morning and had to leave my potty pocket to daddy!!! Bit of a mess he said ; wees and a poo all in the knickers!!! We then had some company here for lunch and despite me repeatedly sitting her on the potty and my friend taking her to the loo and doing silly voices and all sorts to keep her there , we got nada wees!

I then had to throw her nappyless,(& with a huge potty train kit package for home!!), at my sister at school pick up, so I could go and see my dd1's ballet show there. Whilst my sis was on the phone, dd2 took herself to the potty!!

Its all hit and miss really , she knows what she has to do , but is choosing when she does it, little scamp! She has to know theres no going back now , and hopefully she might take it more seriously rather than walking around damp!

Lol at the horse comment, dd2 seems to be able to go for hours and hours with not having to go,(dd1 can pish for England bless), so we dont get a chance to use the wee episodes to train. She wont drink much either so its not easy all round!

She is sooo excited when she does something in the right place though!

Phewwww day 2 down!

melsy Tue 21-Jul-09 21:42:43

oooh good technique iwantitnow!!

katedan Wed 22-Jul-09 08:20:47

Hi Ladies,

By the end of yesterday (day 2) we had 1 poo and 1 wee on potty and 3 wee accidents. She knows she wants to wee and will sit on the potty for ages but as soon as she gets off she goes behind her toy kitchen wee's everywhere. It is like she does not know which muscles she needs to let go to wee. Pooing takes ages but I think she can tell a poo is coming!

Good news Melsy about her taking herslf to the potty that is a very good sign!

don't want to go back to nappies but this potty training is VERY stressful, my wine intake in the evenings is def increasing!

girlsyearapart Wed 22-Jul-09 08:36:03

Good morning ladies can I join the wee club??

Dd1 is 22mo and first went on potty at 18mo. She liked it for a few days then went off the idea (her idea to start with not mine!)This week we have started again as she has seen her little best friend doing it.

Now- she knows when she wants to go, when she has been and won't wear nappies without a fight.

But- the success on the potty is about 50-50. This morning she did a big wee on the potty. Cue loads of praise, clapping, phoning Daddy at work etc.

Ten mins later HUGE wee (where does it all come from??) all over the sofa.

Shall I give up??
How hard should I be when she has an accident?
Should I put nappies on her when we go out/in the car or is that confusing?
ARGH

midnightexpress Wed 22-Jul-09 09:07:10

We're still having mixed results - very few poo accidents (thank god) but quite a few wees, unless he is constantly reminded. And nursery still seems to be a bit of an issue. he told us this morning that one of the ladies wouldn't let him go to the toilet hmm, but then agreed that this was in fact nonsense. I think they have tried to encourage all of the parents to get their LOs out of nappies at the same time so are perhaps a bit overwhelmed!

Girlsyearapart, when we 'did' DS1 we did occasionally put him in a nappy in the car, if we were going a long way and knew he'd fall asleep for a while. But otherwise not. We just made sure he had a sit on the loo before we went and just kept asking him. Though we did delay the whole thing until after we had to travel 500 miles for a wedding iirc.

Anyway, onwards and upwards - good luck today everyone.

girlsyearapart Wed 22-Jul-09 09:21:30

Yes have 4 hour car journey with the dds on my own in two days think a nappy will be in order..

raggedtrouseredphilanthropist Wed 22-Jul-09 10:44:49

I will be a training chump melsy asI appear to have started potty training today!
ds is 2.6, has been using a toilet to wee in for a while - not stressing, just nappy off and i ask if he needs a wee. And today he had a poo in the potty, so I guess I should carry on now really.

So, today 1 wee in the toilet (we both got dressed late, so nappy on until about 9.30) and 1 poo in the potty.

BUT, I also have a day out tomorrow! I don't want to go back to a nappy, might as well just go the whole hog, so I suppose I will take a potty with me or something. And not sure how to do car journeys, but hey ho I might as well do it now as he is so ready....

katedan Wed 22-Jul-09 13:36:13

We are also having mixed results today, so far 3 wee accidents and four wee's on potty. She takes so much persuading to go on the potty and it is very hard work. It sort of puts you off going out and with ds off school aswell as Dt's I feel bad that we are changing our plans to P/T.

Oh well we shall carry on this afternoon and see how we go.

petunia Wed 22-Jul-09 15:55:44

We've had a teeny tiny success- a wee in the potty! Up 'til now today, we've not had a very successful morning. We had a long session on the potty at 1pm, when DD3 sat and we were playing with a toy together but then it was followed by her going outside to play and then coming back in with wet pants. But we've just had 1/2 an hour of her dancing from foot to foot and me telling her to sit on the potty, because I could tell she needed to go. She'd sit and then get up again, and then start dancing about again. But eventually she produced a little wee in the potty, followed by much praise and applause from me and her sisters! And now she's dancing about again (she's had some icepops that have probably worked their way through!) so hopefully I can catch something again!

Katedan- I feel guilty too about DDs 1&2 having to stay in while we do this. We did manage to go for a walk for 30 minutes on Monday and Tuesday, but that's been it. I'm trying to keep them occupied without the aid of the TV and computer, but it's difficult!

midnightexpress Wed 22-Jul-09 16:27:50

<waves pompoms for Petunia's DD>

Still, 'tis better they are indoors this week than next, when the weather is forecast to get much better. Hopefully you'll be feeling able to get out a bit further afield by then. In the meantime, is there any chance of arranging any playdates with friends for the older children?

We're doing well today. Picked DS2 up from nursery at lunchtime in the same clothes I dropped him off in: woo-hoo! Though they have just got back from a 'walk down the road' with DP and look as if they have both been rolling in a pile of mud, so looks like the washing machine will be on anyway <sigh>.

etchasketch Wed 22-Jul-09 16:34:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now