Talk

Advanced search

DD nearly potty trained at 7 months!

(6 Posts)
chefswife Fri 17-Jul-09 03:46:24

So I decided to start the potty training, ('elimination communication'), at 5 months, which coincided with BLW. I'd put her on it any time I went in to use the toilet. Since then, we've had only had 3 poopy diapers. Poo is easy as it is pretty evident when they are pooing but it also didn't take long for her to figure it out either. We also use signing for it and now I just ask and sign to her and I am able to tell whether she is just pushing out a fart or having a poo. This week I cracked down on the peeing, putting her on it every hour on the hour, while making a pssss noise. The last two days have only produced wet diapers at night. It is incredible! This is what is done in cultures around the world and only in the 'West' do we first train our LO to use a diaper, then a potty when they are old enough to understand that something rather unsettling is happening. I would recommend it to anyone. I have two friends who are also doing it with huge success right now and another whose LO was diaper free by 10 months!

chefswife Fri 17-Jul-09 04:07:17

grin

BertieBotts Fri 17-Jul-09 06:41:51

That's great that EC works so well for you I could never get it to work at all and only ever caught a few wees. I have been trying it on and off since birth with my DS who is 9 months.

Have you seen the eliminationcommuniation and ECUK Yahoo groups? I found them fab for support when I was thinking about starting, everyone else thought I was mad (at best) and some thought it could be damaging I had to explain that it's a very gentle method, nothing like the harsh potty training methods of the 1930s.

Wallace Fri 17-Jul-09 06:47:28

That's fantastic. You know when I first heard about EC I was hmm. But now I think if I had known about it when I had my babies I might have chosen it

Babieseverywhere Fri 17-Jul-09 07:13:17

Yeah grin

Glad you are doing so well with ECing.

I am having fun doing it with limited success with my DS and my DD took to it like a duck to water, just like your daughter.

Just a reminder thsat ECing isn't a straight path and you are likely to get periods in the future when she won't signal or waits too late, usually when new developments happen. (i.e. crawling, walking, eating)
if this happens don't worry it is just how things often happen.

chefswife Fri 17-Jul-09 17:57:02

Thanks ladies

I am completely realistic that there could be a set back but I guess just keep on trucking with it. I was skeptical at first too, but so far, all is good. But the peeing is the hard one and tiring really, going in every hour on the hour. Its hard to maintain it when you are out as well.

Thanks for the reference too Bernieboots. I'll check that out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now