Talk

Advanced search

Are boys always this blooming difficult to potty train

(15 Posts)
Wills Thu 09-Jul-09 17:43:40

My two girls were an absolute walk in the park compared to my ds! I'd question whether he was ready except for the fact that on some days he's sooo independent he takes himself off to the toilet, does a wee, flushes the toilet and washes his hands - all without any help. How can he be so fab at it one day then spend the next week not going a single time! During these points I'd swear he wasn't ready! I'm off camping in italy in a weeks time and I'm dreading it! Given how hot it will be the obvious answer would be to let him run around naked but again totally unlike his two older sisters I've given birth to an adorable prude that insists on wearing all his clothes!

Please please please - any help/advice?

Wills Thu 09-Jul-09 17:44:30

Oh and he's 3 + 2months so it wouldn't be awful to put him back into nappies just don't want to confuse him!

Octothechildherder Thu 09-Jul-09 20:36:02

1. I am going to Italy camping in two weeks
2. I am also toilet training a boy age 2.3yrs
3. Same here - great days, very bad days
4. Was planning on swimming nappy (washable) and sunsuit!

My advice would be it is a great opportunity ffor him not to wee on your carpet!

Wills Thu 09-Jul-09 22:38:21

Ok, good point - will get a decent swim nappy

Washersaurus Thu 09-Jul-09 22:44:07

Well I'm still trying to get DS1 (4 next week) to stay dry reliably. Soooo, when we go camping I take pull-up pants for him, but often find that his desire to wee on nature overrides his desire to wee himself grin. Not ideal admittedly, but at least we don't end up with loads of washing grin

Olihan Thu 09-Jul-09 22:45:40

Swim nappies do NOT contain wee.

My DH can confirm this after he was giving a swim nappy clad ds1 a shoulder ride back from the beach.

About halfway up he became aware of a warm sensation round his neck.

By the time we got to the top he looked like he wearing a wet scarf round his neck grin.

I PMSL, as you would.

Washable training pants are equally crap at containing wee.

They just delay the speed at which it runs down the leg grin.

No helpful advice on what to do though, apart from take plenty of spare pants.

Will he wear pants and no shorts/trousers? That would at least cut down on some of the washing.

On the bright side, you'll never lose your tent with all the bright pants fluttering from the guy lines as they dry!

Washersaurus Thu 09-Jul-09 22:50:09

Have you considered sticking Tena lady pads in his pants? grin

Its a joke but I have often contemplated trying it out myself....

Washersaurus Thu 09-Jul-09 22:50:34

Oh god, for DS1 I mean blush <ahem>

Olihan Thu 09-Jul-09 23:05:28

Yeah, yeah Washersaurus, wha'ever.

wink

Washersaurus Thu 09-Jul-09 23:09:22

I'm never going to pull Doodle Do Chris with posts like that am I? <snigger>

Wills Thu 09-Jul-09 23:27:42

superb! Yes must admit the disposable ones are crap well nonabsorbant but I'd hope she meant the cloth ones which for some reason I saw as a walking nappy which probably defeats teh whole point.
So what has been concluded here so far? Basically that yes boys are "blooming difficult to potty train"

Washersaurus Thu 09-Jul-09 23:44:41

Washable swim nappies, well the ones with the waterproof coating on the inner, merely contain the wee so that when you try to remove them or put pressure on them the wee explodes everywhere <voice of experience>

I have washable pull-ups for DS1 they have been OK, but he wees A LOT!

Olihan Thu 09-Jul-09 23:50:53

Washer, it's you, me and about a 100 other MNers in a mass brawl for DDC tomorrow lunchtime.

<would like to remind Chris that I do NOT wear Tena Lady>

<except when I get a bit over excited and try to bounce on the trampoline>

<or jog>

<or sneeze suddenly>

grin

Washersaurus Thu 09-Jul-09 23:54:20

I only wanted him to take me for a drink <sob>. He seems like he'd be a laugh and I don't get out much ever these days. The competition is quite fierce though.

Olihan Fri 10-Jul-09 00:02:50

Pah, you're clearly not a real fan if you don;t want to get down and dirty with him and his spiders-- do more than have a drink with him.

I'd go for a drink but he would definitely be allowed to laugh me into bed afterwards [leery wink].

(It's late, I'm tired and I'm starting to get overexcited, do excuse me blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now