Talk

Advanced search

Can he really want to potty train?

(6 Posts)
PigeonPie Tue 07-Jul-09 09:11:55

DS2 is 17 months and is showing definite signs of being able to hold onto his wee and using the potty. For instance this morning I changed him at 7 when he woke and have just done him now (9ish) and he was dry, but he did a wee when he sat on the potty.

Do I just put him on the potty when I change him or shall I leave his nappy off and just see what happens?

However, I don't know that I am ready for it yet [scared] we've only just got DS1 cracked and he's 3.7!

CMOTdibbler Tue 07-Jul-09 09:17:18

I'd start by putting him on the potty when you change him, and perhaps getting his nappy off when playing in the garden (with a potty out there), and just up the nappy off time as he gets more reliable.

Go with the flow (as it were), and if he's not interested sometimes, don't stress, just think of every wee in the potty as one you don't have to change

PigeonPie Tue 07-Jul-09 09:21:44

Thanks dibbler, that was what I was thinking of doing, but was just wondering if anyone had done anything else!

At least the holidays start the week after next, so we won't be on the playgroup run etc, so provided the weather's not too bad I'll just stick a t-shirt on him and they can run round the garden together!

PigeonPie Tue 07-Jul-09 09:25:06

I suppose it's just that it's me who isn't ready for it yet as DS1 was 2.5 before he started, so it's taken me rather by surprise!

ches Wed 08-Jul-09 03:26:11

This is a great age to potty train! It's when they're still nice and willing and pliable, before the terrible twos set in with the "NO NO NO" and then the "I WANT TO DO IT ALL BY MYSELF!" I had DS out of nappies at 18 months. He wasn't independent, but it's SOOOOO much easier to just drop his drawers and let him have a wee/pop him on the toilet and wipe his bum when he's done than do the nappy wrestle ten times a day.

PigeonPie Wed 08-Jul-09 22:34:21

Thanks ches. I was a bit frightened about it all, but I also spoke to a friend in rl yesterday and she said that her DS was dry by 18 months, so I realised that it is in the realms of possibility.

If it happens, it happens and if it doesn't, then I won't fret!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now