Talk

Advanced search

advice on potty training - how long does it take?!!

(9 Posts)
TinkyTaylor Mon 06-Jul-09 18:47:56

I have been potty training my DD (2 years) now for just over a month. I have been putting her on the potty every half hour and rewards are given (I went from stickers to smarties pretty quickly!) But in the last week, things have regressed, she only tells me after she's done a wee that she's done one, or sometimes just sits in it and doesn't say a thing! Today alone after I'd sat her on the potty she would go a few minutes later on the floor- am finding it exhausting- all the endless clear ups but want to stick with it as she started off so well. I suppose what I'm really asking is how long can it take for a child to begin to know when they are about to pee? Advice please, or anything that makes me feel better or smile!

ches Tue 07-Jul-09 03:23:58

DS was clean & dry during the day from 18 months. It wasn't until 27 months that he took responsibility for it himself. He'd just hold on until someone took him.

missbea Tue 07-Jul-09 17:13:57

How long does it take? For-blooming-ever! I've been training DD since Easter (she was 2 in Dec) and she is still not asking to go to the toilet and doesn't tell me when she's had an accident. We had a minor miracle of a spontaneous, did-it-herself, poo in the potty last week, but other than that, it's been grim. We carry on taking her and cheering when she does it, and hope that eventually she'll make the connection between the feeling and the action.

I just keep telling myself she'll be continent by the time she goes to school...

minxofmancunia Tue 07-Jul-09 17:17:47

sorry tinkytaylor but for some it's a long grim haul, I strated dd end of feb and only in the last month has it "clicked" she's now pretty much independent.

Lots of tears, frustrations and stomping about accompanied it though (mine I might add not hers).

Stick with it though, and put her in normal knickers, not pull ups/nappies, more accidents but it will work eventually!

bubblagirl Tue 07-Jul-09 17:33:03

if you start too early it takes forever if you start at right rime it takes no time

ds was 2 when i started then went back to nappies tried again 2.7 back to nappies just after he was 3 put pants on and was dry from day 1 he just wasn't ready before

bubblagirl Tue 07-Jul-09 17:35:44

we still took to toilet but went back to nappies so it wasn't such a negative experience every nappy change we sat on toilet then he decided he didnt want nappies any more and was dry we had potty in every room told him where it was if he went in the room he never told me he just went we left him naked from waist down so easier to get on potty in time

even now at 4 we still put loose shorts on so he can always get there in time he gets too distracted and still needs reminding to go at times

katylou25 Tue 07-Jul-09 18:42:04

If it takes that long it's too early and they're not ready! We've just done ds2 - took less than a week for him to be independently going to the toilet. Ds1 was the same - about 6 days iirc.

Both were 2yrs and 10/11 months.

I think there is a lot of pressure for children to be trained early but often they don't have the control, thought processes etc neccessary until much nearer/past 3.

TinkyTaylor Tue 07-Jul-09 19:50:56

Thanks for all advice! My next baby is due end of August so hopefully things will get easier before then. Wasn't sure if I could cope with two in washable nappies!

blowninonabreeze Tue 07-Jul-09 19:56:10

agree with all that said if it takes that long they're not ready.

At the right time it'll take less than a week.

For DD1 she was 2.8. 2 accidents and by the end of the week completely independent.

Personally I'd put her back in nappies and leave it for a few months (wait until your baby is a few months at least)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now