Talk

Advanced search

Potty too small...?

(12 Posts)
helips Fri 12-Jun-09 07:36:55

Have decided to potty train ds who will be 2 in August. Bought a potty to sit him on at nappy change time and generally get used to having around, anyway, when I sit him on it his willy hangs over the side. If I sit him on with it tucked in it is so squashed against the side that I don't see how any wee could come out! Plus, it looks very uncomfortable, in fact he just gets right off. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I just forget the potty and buy one of those seats to go on the toilet and go straight to toilet training? TIA!

notnowbernard Fri 12-Jun-09 09:41:15

DD2 went more or less straight to the toilet (used the potty for about a week or so)

So this could be an option for your ds

Is he showing signs for being ready to train?

shish Fri 12-Jun-09 10:32:31

My ds had same porblem - willy haging over the edge. We went straight to toilet seat. Much better and it means you don't have to worry about potty to toilet training

helips Fri 12-Jun-09 13:34:19

notnowbernard He tells me when he has done a poo so just need him to start telling me beforehand grin

It's really annoying about the potty, why do they make them so small? Will get a seat for the toilet. What do I do, just plonk ds on at different times of the day and hope he does something? Am completely new to this so any words of wisdom will be appreciated!!

LilRedWG Fri 12-Jun-09 13:42:33

We bought one of these. Basically a toilet seat with a toddler seat built in. If you lift the lid there is the toddler seat and if you lift that there is the adult seat.

DD loves having a seat her size actually built in.

LilRedWG Fri 12-Jun-09 13:45:03

The top picture on this page gives you an idea.

BethAndHerBrood Fri 12-Jun-09 14:18:02

We just had this problem with Ds. I thought the potty we had seemed tiny in comparison to DS, so we bought a potty from mothercare, like a seat, but with a removable bowl, IYSWIM. Much better for him.

notnowbernard Fri 12-Jun-09 18:08:42

Helips it might be useful to browse the potty-trining threads - lots of useful info there smile

IME it is best to start training when they can tell you they need a wee or a poo... quite different to telling you after

DD2 is recently out of nappies. I waited for her to tell me she wanted to use the potty/toilet. It took 1 morning to do, with one accident. So much less hassle than 'toiletting' them... <speaks from bitter experience with dd1wink>

ches Sat 13-Jun-09 02:33:03

We have https://already.be/f.php?t=73763 this potty. It's the only one DS fit on. He would sit on his friend's Baby Bjorn potty which is also raised in front and wee all over the floor. The first potty I bought (when he was 12 months) he sat on and his penis rested on top of it! The mind boggles.

littleboyblue Sat 13-Jun-09 02:47:17

Helips My ds1 will also be 2 in August. Recently, whilst he runs around early evening nappy free, he'll look at his willy and say wee-wee and will then wee so I bought a potty, just to take a slow, relaxed, pressure free approach to PT and like you planned to sit him on it at certain times through the day.
I put the potty straight in the bathroom to help his assosiation, and also bought a little stool so he can reach the sink and we can wash our hands together. The earlier we start bathroom routines the better IMO, but the potty is too small. We have exactly same issue.
I'm now thinking of getting the double toilet seat, but have been thinking what if the toilet is too big and scary? I liked the idea that ds1 could come to bathroom with me, and for now, sit on his potty if he wanted to iyswim...........
If you don't want to fix a new toilet seat, you can get toddler ones that are plastic and sit between the seat and toilet rim and is removeable

helips Sat 13-Jun-09 12:15:22

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom!

notnowbernard I will look at the potty training threads. I want to potty train ds this summer as baby number 2 is due in November and ideally I'd like to just deal with 1 lot of nappies! Appreciate what you say about them being able to tell you when they need to go, maybe I'll leave it a month or so and hopefully ds will tell me before he does a poo not after!

ches I couldn't access the link you posted, where did you buy it from?

littleboyblue think I will get the toilet seat, it's just like you I was hoping to do the relaxed approach and had visions of ds running around naked in the garden in the sunshine, only stopping to wee/poo in his potty (although the likelyhood is that he will do it in the flowerbeds/paddling pool!)

ches Mon 15-Jun-09 04:05:43

Try this page instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now