Talk

Advanced search

3 year old not potty trained

(7 Posts)
CAREBEAR86 Sat 09-May-20 11:00:26

My did has just turned 3, if tried a few times to potty train her but everytime I put her in knickers she just wets herself without even attempting to sit on the potty. I'm thinking I may need to wait a few more months and try again.

The problem is she hates wearing nappies, she keeps taking them off and wetting herself and also smearing poo on the carpets if we nip out of the room and she spoils herself while were gone.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can try and get her potty trained? I dont know how much more of this I can take.

OP’s posts: |
DennisTMenace Sat 09-May-20 11:29:38

You don't say what you have tried already, but have you tried bribery? Ds1 was nearly 4 when we cracked it, but he was happy in nappies and not making a mess. So chocolate button/coin every time he used the toilet and a star for a big toy when he got to 30 stars. Obviously adjust to whatever it is your dd would actually want. Also, doesn't have to be a potty. Ds wouldn't go near one, or a smaller kid loo seat, as they were "for babies".

CAREBEAR86 Sat 09-May-20 12:12:21

Thanks for the reply. I have tried bribery, a reward chart and letting her chose her own knickers in the hope that it would encourage her not to spoil them but nothing has worked so far. I think the issue maybe that she wants to be a baby, if I call her a princess/big girl she will protest that she is a baby.

HyggeTygge Sat 09-May-20 12:14:48

Try the Oh Crap book. Don't put her in knickers straight away, we went for at least a week with no pants (bottomless at first then bottoms with no pants). the book is great at setting out the steps you and dd need to go through to 'get it'. Just skip past all the warnings about leaving it later than 30 months old as you can't do anything about that.

HyggeTygge Sat 09-May-20 12:16:56

Also please don't go straight in with the "big girl" / "baby" dichotomy - if she hasn't been taught how to use the potty it's not her fault or down to her maturity ( not trying to have a go at you, I didn't train my dc1 until almost 3... went for it much earlier with dc2 and it's way easier! )

CAREBEAR86 Sat 09-May-20 13:00:01

Thanks I will have a look at that. I have tried a few times with her from 2 years on but she just hasn't wanted to do it. My eldest ds was so much easier but he was always very laid back and open to new things where as dd is very stubborn.

TheDIsiilusionedAnarchist Sat 09-May-20 13:05:52

3.5yo just trained using a modification of the oh crap method. We’ve just started pants three weeks in. Go bare bum for a bit and hold your nerve. We had a couple of days early on where it was just continual accidents with no attempt to get to the potty and I was tempted to give up but we carried on, backed off a lot and he’s got it

Very strong minded kid with possible ASD who is utterly unmotivated by rewards/prizes of any kind.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »