Talk

Advanced search

Should I do anything with this behaviour in a DC not yet ready to potty train?

(3 Posts)
Namechangeymcnamechange11 Tue 10-Dec-19 08:42:14

My DC is not yet 2 and not showing signs of being ready yet. He's my first, but I was pretty involved with the upbringing of my sister's DC (although granted that was 10 years ago).

My DC doesn't have the vocab yet, or any recognition that he's wee'd or hiding when he poos.

We brought a potty when we saw one on offer and put it in the bathroom. It's been sat there a few months. He is suddenly obsessed with sitting on it.

He sees me on the loo all the time as hes quite clingy and joins me in the bathroom tcrhmm so the concept isn't completely alien to him.

Should I be encouraging anything with him sitting on the potty?

I'm not in any hurry to have him potty training but wondering whether I should be doing anything with it.

OP’s posts: |
Sleepycat91 Tue 10-Dec-19 08:46:05

We had one out from a similar age just so it wasnt scary or unfamiliar when he was ready. Id praise sitting on it and every time he does say its for wees or poos, we used to point the same out for the toilet aswell. I tried twice with my son, he wasnt ready the 1st time so we left it until he was about 3 and he said he wanted to use the potty and he was done and even dry overnight within a week.

Namechangeymcnamechange11 Tue 10-Dec-19 15:01:52

Thanks, that's helpful.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »