Talk

Advanced search

Potty training problems

(12 Posts)
OliviaCharlotte1719 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:16:56

Hello 👋. I'm new on here and hoping to get some advice on potty training. We have been potty training for just over a week, at home she does great normally, all her wees on her potty no questions asked, takes herself, doesn't need reminding as long as she is commando. On Sunday we even braved leaving the house and going into town with her in knickers, took her to public toilets with her potty and she went for a wee just fine. The problem - every time she goes to pre school she comes home and it's like we are back to square 1. The school have asked that I put her in nappies, that they will take her to the toilet every 45 minutes to try. I know by doing a nappy count that this is not happening, she is getting her nappy changed once there (she does 3 hours). So realistically if they were taking her every 45 minutes I would expect 3-4 nappy changes unless they are putting the same one back on her. She comes home asking to wear nappies and I can't tell her she doesn't wear them anymore because school want me to put her in them, she has accidents when she comes home from school and when I ask her to go to the toilet she simply just says no. She doesn't do this on non school days and usually by late evening on a school day she starts to Co operate again. Thing is school don't want me sending her in knickers until she is fully trained, but i am constantly starting from scratch and almost cracking it by the end of the weekend only for her to go back to square 1 again come Monday. She goes Monday Tuesday Wednesday mornings. Help! What do I do? I never discipline these accidents, gets lots of praise for going on her toilet but I feel the lack of consistency is confusing her!

Eeeeek2 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:19:48

Can you not send her for a week or would this cause problems with work/life. If you can take a week off nursery you could have it cracked and then send her in pants and says she is trained.

Eeeeek2 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:22:01

I don’t think it’s fair for school to insist on nappy Monday Tuesday Wednesday as she’ll never get it as she is getting mixed messages

Lifeinthedeep Wed 09-Oct-19 14:30:24

I’d send her in with no nappies but a spare pair of knickers/clothes. I’d tell them she is potty trained but needs to be taken to the toilet often and reminded. They can’t argue with that?

OliviaCharlotte1719 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:31:16

I can't not send her this term as it's already paid for. Half term is coming up at the end of the month so I guess I could try and fully crack it then. It is very stressful as she is getting confused. I can understand they probably don't want to keep dealing with accidents, but she wasn't even having any, weeing in her potty like a champ! She's not due back now until Monday so I am going to really try and master it with her and try and talk to the school about it on Monday morning. I know if they did actually take her at intervals she would probably go and not have accidents or limited accidents. It feels like they are not working with me and don't want to help with the process

Eeeeek2 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:45:17

Then I’d have a really good go at cracking it over half term as you’ll have 11 days in a row of no nappy.

Eeeeek2 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:46:48

Sorry just saw she wasn’t having any accidents at home. So sounds like you have got it sorted or was that with nothing on?

NannyR Wed 09-Oct-19 14:49:45

If the nappy is dry (or not completely soaked), I would think they are putting it back on her when they take her. I wouldn't put a clean nappy on a child every 45 mins. Or maybe they are asking/prompting every 45mins but not necessarily making her sit on the potty.

OliviaCharlotte1719 Thu 10-Oct-19 12:52:57

That was with nothing on and we had just introduced knickers which was going well, a couple of accidents when we didn't manage to get her to a toilet quick enough. She's not even trying anymore, I feel very defeated. She's just weeing everywhere x

user1493413286 Thu 10-Oct-19 12:58:45

School need to work with you on it; my DD mastered it at home when I had a week off but she doesn’t ask to go when she’s at childcare; they have to put her on the potty every couple of hours and deal with any accidents. They’re fine with that and she’ll ask them when she’s a bit more comfortable about it all.
I’d go back to your nursery and have a word and say you won’t be sending her in nappies.

NoIDontWatchLoveIsland Thu 10-Oct-19 13:16:51

Most people i know have used time off work to do the first hard bit of potty training - a week minimum, 2 is better. The pre school are not being very helpful. How old is she? Is the preschool in a school setting with a qualified teacher & thus a high number of kids to adults? If so, it's maybe not the best setting as they simply can't spare staff to potty train a child

OliviaCharlotte1719 Fri 11-Oct-19 13:55:49

She is 2. We are just getting back on track after alot of resistance. Back to no accidents and she's in knickers. I am taking her to the toilet frequently and we are doing well. We have next week to get through at pre school and then it's half term.
They have 3 teachers, and she has a key worker, there's only a few kids per key worker, it's not a massive pre school x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »