Talk

Advanced search

Too soon?

(5 Posts)
torrence Sun 15-Sep-19 22:00:55

I think we have potty trained dd (2) too soon. She was taking her nappy off after doing a poo or just sticking her hands In it and smearing poo all over so we decided to just get on with it as she would already sit on the potty for a wee in the morning and before bath so we thought she was ready. It's been 4 weeks now and she is often having wet accidents and poos are mostly done in her pants or when wearing her nappy for nap / bedtime, the smearing is still going on. Has anyone any experience of this / advice to offer. I am sure she was wetting herself deliberately today to get a reaction. Is it worse to go back to nappies and try again in a while or is it best to stick it out?

inwood Sun 15-Sep-19 22:02:44

Forget it!

inwood Sun 15-Sep-19 22:04:45

Don't know where the rest of my post went ...

I did dts just before they turned there, took three days, it's not worth until they're ready imo.

Pomegranatemolasses Sun 15-Sep-19 22:07:48

Definitely back to nappies for a while. I understand how difficult the poo smearing thing is, but as you say attempting to potty train her hasn't helped that.

Two is incredibly young to potty train, most are three nowadays before being successfully trained. Sitting on the potty for a wee does not mean she was ready, probably just that you were timing it correctly rather than her understanding her own cues as to when she needed the potty.

torrence Mon 16-Sep-19 22:58:25

Thank you, I guess I was hoping to hear from people who had been in my shoes and could offer some pearls of wisdom / magic tricks to successful potty training. I read some other people's posts on this topic after posting mine and saw someone saying that instead of asking if they needed the potty they asked if they knew what to do when they needed a poo or a wee and the child would tell them and take themselves off to the potty rather just automatically saying no and then having an accident. We have tried this tactic today and have had much better results. So going to stick it out a bit longer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »