Talk

Advanced search

Accidents out of the house

(4 Posts)
RKaz Fri 16-Aug-19 13:11:51

My 2.5 year old LG is learning to use the potty/toilet and has been great. At home she says she needs to go and then (with a little assistance if clothes are involved) goes with no accidents since day 2.

However, if we're out, she just doesn't ask to go so has accidents. If I take her to the loo she's fine but she just never asks. She has soaked the car seat now despite going 2 min before getting in the car. Recently it was on the floor of the dentist's reception 🤦‍♀️

How do people deal with this? I don't want to "punish" her obviously but not sure what more to do other than take her before hand and tell her to tell me she needs to go...I've got bed pads for the car but planned on using these for longer journeys not 20min!

tigger001 Fri 16-Aug-19 21:56:02

I would line her seat, for any journey. (Car seat, pram)
Get a wee wee before you leave the house and she is taken for a wee wee on arrival of anywhere.

How long are out for when she's having these accidents ?

How does she tell you at home ? Does she just take herself and you follow to help with clothes or does she actually say wee wee (or equivalent )

tigger001 Fri 16-Aug-19 21:58:22

The book oh crap is brilliant for potty training.

amIstupid22 Fri 16-Aug-19 22:09:18

We used cheap puppy pads for car seat/pushchair and just lots of changes of clothes.

If shes getting the hang of it at home then all you can do is prepare for the accidents when out and hope she gets the hang of it. I did find some great "pants" that also had an absorbent lining so worked like a pull up but looked and felt like pants which worked wonders. I know some toddlers do notice it works like a nappy though so doesnt work for all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »