Talk

Advanced search

19 month old son when do I start potty training ?

(5 Posts)
kuch Tue 06-Aug-19 16:55:26

Hi everyone,
I have a 19month old son and wondering when and how to start potty training ?
I would like him to know how to go before nursery but lost as to how I start training him and when is best too ?
Thanks in advance kuchina x

OP’s posts: |
PaddyF0dder Tue 06-Aug-19 16:57:22

19 months is pretty young.

Every kid is different. It’s about looking for their signals. Does he tell you when he’s wet. Does he show an interest in the potty. Etc etc.

I think MOST kids are potty trained by age 3 or so, but even then quite a lot of kids aren’t.

Maybe start by buying a potty and see if your kid is interested. But don’t pressurise them. Loads of kids at nursery are not potty trained.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 08-Aug-19 12:49:22

Read the Oh Crap book OP. She recommends training between 20 and 30 months so it's definitely not too early to be thinking about it.

mswales Fri 09-Aug-19 22:00:08

I just started with my 23 month old with Oh Crap and it's gone great! (though am waiting for it all to go wrong!) Only three days in and he's using toilet and potty fine, doesn't know when it's coming yet but as long as I put him on every half hour then there's no accidents. The Oh Crap book dispels a lot of myths about when they are "ready". Highly recommend reading it.

Tigger001 Tue 13-Aug-19 00:13:08

After hearing there is a window at 22 months which is the easiest for them to pick it up, I started at 21months and he just got it,he was dry in the night after 3 weeks as well.
We used the book oh crap, it was great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »