Talk

Advanced search

Starting potty training 18m

(14 Posts)
ememem84 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:33:39

Ds is 18 months. I’m debating potty training.

The only reason for this is I suppose a purely selfish one. I’m currently pregnant with dc2. And do not want to have two in nappies for too long.

Am I insane for even thinking about this?

And if not, how do I go about it?

Any advice more than welcome!!

OP’s posts: |
FenellaMaxwell Mon 08-Apr-19 21:38:09

Does your DS show any signs of readiness? If not, clearing up puddles of piss all the time isn’t going to be easier than 2 in nappies....

ineedaholidaynow Mon 08-Apr-19 21:46:51

A friend potty trained her DS at about the same age, he seemed to have accidents for months. He also had many wees during the day.
We potty trained DS much later, as had shown no signs of being ready before, he got it in a few days, could go much longer between wees and had very few accidents.

ememem84 Tue 09-Apr-19 06:39:40

Thanks all!

And there’s another question. Readiness.

Not really. Dh is of the opinion it should be done sooner rather than later as will be easier than 2 in nappies.

I’m of the opinion we move him to pull up nappies and take it from there.

I’ve said to dh is he wants to do the laundry it’ll create and clean up after him be my guest.

FenellaMaxwell Tue 09-Apr-19 08:00:18

Don’t do it before he’s ready, that’s just silly. 1. It’s going to be lots more work, and 2. Why is the emphasis on him to grow up before he’s ready because you’ve decided to have another baby. He’s already going to struggle with feeling you’re replacing him without you putting him under pressure to grasp lots of things he’s still too little for.

ememem84 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:24:05

fenella that was my thinking too. Is it too soon and are we going to cause more trouble for ourselves when new baby comes along...

Seems like general consensus is “you’re being crazy to consider this now”

😉😀

Kittykat93 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:26:10

Don't do it if he's not ready. Let him be an 18 month old! Two In nappies isn't that bad

TwittleBee Tue 09-Apr-19 08:29:13

We started with DS when he was 18 months as I had 2 weeks off work over Xmas. He totally got the concept but he was showing some signs of readiness, e.g. not wanting to pee in his bath and hiding when he done a poop. He would also ask for his nappy to be changed.

We stopped though because he got chicken pox and then we all got the flu (winter weather for you!).

But started up again at 20 months and he has really got it. Okay, sure poop is still an issue but we haven't had any pee accidents now for a couple weeks.

First few days are hard work but it gets easier. And that first trip out with no nappy is also daunting but they get there.

I read somewhere that if you DC is understanding consequences and sequences then they're ready for potty training as potty training is just about cause and affect.

(We started this early because we are expecting dC2 as well!)

troppibambini Tue 09-Apr-19 08:29:30

Four dc here and my advice would be leave them til you can't not do it! Mine were all close to three and all trained in 3 days and within two weeks were dry at night.
18 months and not ready would be madness, I would rather change a quick nappy than be continuously clearing up puddles of wee and smeared poo!

randomsabreuse Tue 09-Apr-19 08:32:02

Insane. With a newborn having the older child in nappies is easier than potty trained. E.g. baby just latched, potty trained toddler needs the toilet, unlatch baby, baby screaming and absolute sod to reattach once done.

Eg2 baby has done massive poo everywhere, while you're dealing toddler needs to go too...

Much easier if toddler can wait in a wet (or pooey) nappy while you deal 1 at a time.

I had a 3 yo a good 5 months out of nappies when newborn arrived.

Night wise, leave it as long as child will allow. 3yos sleep went from perfect to waking up for a pee if half woken by newborn hunger/nappy screeches overnight!

dementedpixie Tue 09-Apr-19 08:32:21

Ds showed signs of readiness and wad day trained by age 2. I wouldn't have started if he wasn't willing and able to do it. Dd was closer to 2 and a half when we did it (she was my first child)

ememem84 Tue 09-Apr-19 12:19:03

random good point. Hadn’t thought of that!!

randomsabreuse Tue 09-Apr-19 15:09:36

I kind of wish we'd had 2 in nappies- there was a distinct phase of sit down for feed, toddler needs poo - potty trained kids also have new prevarication opportunities and it's a long time before they stop resisting the just in case wee - still need it on the reward chart at nearly 4 and very reliable. Also not fun on long car journeys - have visited way too many laybys since she trained!

Sogrownup2 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:14:29

My son was potty trained at 22 months because he seemed ready- however he didn’t have the dexterity to pull his trousers and pants up and down and I had a newborn in arms so it was actually so much harder than two in nappies! I tried to hold off for a little with my second until he could pull his own trousers up and down! Much easier!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »