Talk

Advanced search

Bedwetting getting worse, advice needed

(13 Posts)
Nottalotta Thu 14-Mar-19 00:45:03

Ds is 3 yrs 8 months. He potty trained a year ago very quickly and easily. Still used nappies at night as had been fillling/leaking them overnight. On night 4 he was dry. Couple if weeks later I stopped using night nappies and he remained dry at night for 6 months.

Started back at pre school, longer hours, and also has a really bad cold. Wet the bed a couple of times. Started wetting the bed if ill or very tired. I gave only water to drink after 2pm (so would only drink what he needed) and I started getting him up for a wee. Trial and error found the best time to get him up was about 3.30. All ok.

The last couple of months there have been more and mote times that he's wet when I go in. Started going in earlier. Ok. Now he's started wetting a second time. Had a chat tonight and got him to practice shouting me. All good. Woke with him shouting just now, already wet. I've put a pull up on him as out of bed pads having wet once tonight so far and twice the lat 2 nights. Its absolute wearing me down. He has got very upset over the pull up.

What else can I do? I feel pull ups are a backward step.

Nottalotta Thu 14-Mar-19 00:48:02

I might add that the times he's wet twice, I feel the second time he has been aware of. Last week I went into his room and tucked him back in and he was dry at 6.40am. By 7 he had wet. Its like he's just got used to doing it and doesn't try not to. He never shouts me needing a wee. I always get him up or find him wet. I do think he's permanently tired but as he won't nap and never lays in, I can't do anything to change that.

WaddIelikeapenguin Thu 14-Mar-19 01:04:47

I would just put him in pj pants or whatever they’re called & relax flowers
The reduced production of urine overnight is hormone controlled & maybe he just hasn’t got enough yet. Mine were dry overnight at 18months, 5 yrs & 2 yrs.
He’ll get there in his own time

Nottalotta Thu 14-Mar-19 01:18:14

I've read that waddle but 6 months dry without any input from me and I thought he had it in going to keep with the pull ups, he's not keen at all . I'm not sure whether to still get him up or not.

dreichuplands Thu 14-Mar-19 01:32:08

Look at the website ERIC. Make sure he is drinking enough during the day and going to the loo at least every two hours for a wee, even if he doesn't feel he needs to. They are all good starting points.

Nottalotta Thu 14-Mar-19 07:36:12

Thanks, I will try that . He doesn't go often in the day but does huge wees when he does

dreichuplands Thu 14-Mar-19 13:01:30

We had similar issues and the urologist explained that the bladder could get over stretched if the gaps between weeing were too long making it harder to hold urine at night. Up to then I had vaguely thought practicing holding wee might be a good thing. She said it wasn't.

Nottalotta Thu 14-Mar-19 17:01:17

Ah yes that might be it. He amazes me with how long he goes between wees. I'll start prompting him more. Thank you.

dreichuplands Thu 14-Mar-19 17:27:09

Alongside that is stretching the bladder with fluid, my dc had to drink a large water bottle a day and stop around 6pm. Two wees before bed to ensure bladder totally empty. If there was a wee in the night, trip to toilet regardless and back to bed. We weren't to wake or lift for weeing.
It was faffy but worked which was great as we had feared we would need medication. (We also had an alarm but we had never had a dry night)

Nottalotta Thu 14-Mar-19 19:34:29

I'm confused then, I assume his bladder is over stretched from infrequent weeing in the day. Today he has been 5 times if you include the last night time wee just now.

dreichuplands Thu 14-Mar-19 19:56:56

You can tell I'm not a urologist. Basically what she was saying was that drinking regularly during the day was a good thing, it encouraged the bladder to empty itself and I think she said it encouraged it to be able to hold greater volume overnight. But having lots of urine sitting your bladder just wears out your muscle there and makes bed time wetting more likely. I thought that perhaps the bladder muscles would get stronger if my ds didn't wee so much during the day and she said the opposite would happen, they would kind of go flabby.

dreichuplands Thu 14-Mar-19 19:59:01

https://www.eric.org.uk

This people are urologists!

Nottalotta Thu 14-Mar-19 23:20:43

Ah thank you, that makes sense! I've had a look there. Its made me realise that he is still very young. Its not a worry as such at his age , more of a (sounds harsh) inconvenience. Its the truth though. I'm exhausted and this is just causing me to be on edge at night when I should be asleep.

I think he did so well that the routine has probably become a bit slack too so am tightening up on all of that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »