Talk

Advanced search

Potty training 2.5 yr old

(5 Posts)
PontypandyPioneer Mon 04-Mar-19 10:43:43

Hi, my 2.5 year old started showing an interest in the potty a few months ago. Occasionally sat on it throughout the day, and has been having a wee on it before his bath every day since before Xmas.

On Saturday he decided he didn't want a nappy on anymore. He's weeing when I sit him on the potty almost immediately but he's not telling me he wants to go. It means he's not having many / any accidents as I'm making him go. Is this normal?
I have a 4 yr old too but he did it himself within 3 days and was super easy!

LauraPalmersBodybag Mon 04-Mar-19 10:51:41

I potty trained my daughter at 2.5 - I read a great book called ‘Who gives a crap’ which is verrry American, and a bit annoying, but the method was great. It sounds like your little boy is ready to do it, I’d embrace it. Good luck smile

Scoleah Mon 04-Mar-19 10:54:24

I read the Book Oh crap!
And it was brilliant, see if you can google the cheat sheet if you can't get hold of the Book.
Basically naked from waist down so you can spot when they need to go, then introduce trousers commando, then pants and trousers.
My son cracked this really fast I was so impressed with the method.
I started it first day of summer holidays so I knew I could focus 100% on it.
Goodluck OP'

OhHolyJesus Mon 04-Mar-19 13:29:45

I did oh Crap at 20 months. Totally saved me, I fully recommend it! Good luck OP!

crazychemist Tue 05-Mar-19 06:59:07

another Oh Crap fan. It was a bit of a long read tbh, and can mostly be summed up in “take the nappy off and spend the first day (and possibly some of th second) watching your DC like a hawk and pop them on the potty as soon as they are about to do a wee. I found my DD was initially quite surprised and this meant that she would actually hold it at that moment, but within a few hours she was aware of what she was doing and understood what I wanted her to do. Very successful within a couple of days.

The only issues I’m having with “early” (by today’s standards, it seems) potty training is that my DD cannot manage trousers/knickers on her own so does require assistance every time.
(If I need to ignore her for a while, I just take her knickers off so she can take herself!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »