Talk

Advanced search

Potty training when out the house

(4 Posts)
shesthemama Tue 15-Jan-19 08:43:33

My son has been potty training and we've done the week of no nappy at home and he's mastered going on the potty. At the moment he hasn't got pulling down pants/joggers to go on the potty so he's wet through them if I haven't caught him in time to pull them down. Anyone have an tips or tricks to help me or is it a development thing? Also wondering how people go to play groups do you put just pants and keep asking or put a nappy on to go out?
Im a first timer at this so any help is gratefully received!

bristollady Sun 24-Feb-19 22:12:43

I’d love to know the answer to this too! We’re only on day 2 and are not progressing well so far. I don’t see how I’m going to keep my toddler cooped up at home for a week. We’ve got to go out or we will both go insane. But how?! Today I put her in a nappy to go to the park, but was that wrong? Should I be letting her go bare bum under her dress and take a potty? She still isn’t getting it so there would definitely be an accident if we did.

Kaboomba Mon 25-Feb-19 12:02:36

I was just about to ask this exact thing!! My little boy is nearly 3 and we’ve been using the potty in the house for months now but he’s just recently graduated to pants and trousers and has started asking to use the potty.

I am going to try him at nursery tomorrow (only in 3.5hours) and see how he gets on. He tries to pull his trousers and pants down but struggles and needs.

I just don’t know what to do when out and about. I’ve bought one of the boys stand up pee pots but I’ve never seen someone use anything and am but self conscious about whipping down his pants in public to use it, plus he’s only ever peed sitting down not standing. I’ve seen the portable potty but a lot of people have said the seat is quite small on it and with my boy being bigger not sure he’d be happy, this also wouldn’t eliminate the whipping his trousers down in public though!

Elpheba Wed 27-Feb-19 21:06:04

Initially I just tried to do quick outings after she’d done a wee so I knew I had an hour or two ish, and just took potty and spare clothes. Had a few accidents out but fairly quick to just change their clothes. We’re mid way through week two now and have done some days out which have been fine. I just take her to the loo if she looks like she needs a wee!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »