Talk

Advanced search

Have I started potty training?

(9 Posts)
carmelsundae Wed 09-Jan-19 14:53:34

My lb is almost 2.5, Santa brought her a potty and reward charts etc although my plan had been not to start potty training till I had a week off work at the end of February. I'm off for the next 2 days and had nothing to do so thought we'd try it today. So far we've had 1 accident and all other pees and 1 poo in the potty. Is this the start of it, and do I just go for it now? I've things to do tomorrow, so would have to leave the house. Do I just fire a nappy back on and put it down as good practice for when I do start?? Or suck it up and see how we go the next few days!?

OP’s posts: |
Onascaleof1tolovelywalks Wed 09-Jan-19 14:59:14

Go with the flow of she's ready... if you can stay near home for a couple of days, that would be best.
And please don't be one of hose parents that lets the LO use the potty anywhere other than the bathroom.

slappinthebass Wed 09-Jan-19 15:18:21

I introduced the potty with my two older DC a while before 2 (and they used it regularly but not full time) and then I did full time training once they turned 2-2.5. That worked well. My youngest has just turned 2, and I didn't introduce the potty earlier, because this time we are in a fully carpeted house, and because he has had allergies and toddler diarrhoea... sorry if tmi grin) anyway my older children's potty got pulled out last week unintentionally, and the 2 year old has taken a keen interest in it. Lots of wanting nappy off and sitting on it. Lots of putting it on his head. Yesterday he intentionally did a wee in it once and attempted a second time but weed over the edge. I don't want to do full time potty training right now (he's just starting nursery this week, it's winter, he has a speech delay etc) so I think we will just give him regular nappy free time when we can keep an eye, nappies at other times, and then do it properly in summer. I think as long as you plan to do a week without nappies at all, then practice is good. It's only confusing for them if you never take the nappies away at some point.

slappinthebass Wed 09-Jan-19 15:20:30

And please don't be one of hose parents that lets the LO use the potty anywhere other than the bathroom.

Ridiculous.

Onascaleof1tolovelywalks Wed 09-Jan-19 15:22:48

Ridiculous why?

I taught my children to use the potty in the bathroom, that's where they still use the loo.confused
I don't think children should be taught that a potty can be plonked anywhere, for hygiene reasons,l and privacy reasons.

slappinthebass Wed 09-Jan-19 17:23:56

Because the transition of weeing and pooing at will in a nappy no matter where they are to a potty is tricky enough without trying to include the step of teaching them when they need to go AND to hold it and make it up the stairs to the bathroom first. The easiest way to potty train a toddler at the appropriate age (ie not 3 and 4 year olds) is to catch things in the potty until they understand what it is for, then soon after when they need to go. The next step is the toilet, which usually follows quickly. Skipping the step will just draw the process out. Most 2 year olds couldn't go from nappy to toilet, (unless there is a downstairs toilet). It would be too abstract to verbally teach that to them, which is where the potty comes in. Otherwise why not just use a toilet? Manageable if you choose to train late but most children are ready by 2.

BedsideCabinetIsNotAvailable Wed 09-Jan-19 17:30:26

Well...thanks for the advice, I used the 'potty is only used I the bathroom' method- and as we didn't live in a mansion- it didn't take much time and vigilance to get to the bathroom.
It also was the easy to teach them to wash hands, flush wee and poo away and keep privates private, all of those things were important for me to teach them. Also way more important than having to clean up a dribble on the way to the loo.

My youngest of 3 is 9 so I don't think I'm needing tips anymore- the way I did it worked for me and that is the advice I always give to friends if they ask- works for them as-well.

slappinthebass Wed 09-Jan-19 17:58:29

@BedsideCabinetIsNotAvailable have you name changed? Or just being sarcastic about unsolicited advice over on the potty training forum when your youngest is 9? hmm

BedsideCabinetIsNotAvailable Wed 09-Jan-19 18:09:33

Yes, different name on different device.
And yes I am being slightly sarcastic

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »