Talk

Advanced search

Potty training not pooing on loo!

(14 Posts)
zombiemum123 Sun 30-Dec-18 18:48:15

Ds1 is currently being potty trained, does wee’s on the toilet (doesn’t like the potty) and has m took to it very well with very few accident! However he is yet to poo on the toilet , he seems to be holding it in and doing it in his pants, seems really embarrassed by this. we just say “not to worry but next time we do it in the toilet” and he always says yeah. Is this something that will come in time or has anyone got any tips? Thanks smile

OP’s posts: |
zombiemum123 Sun 30-Dec-18 18:51:53

Bye it was his choice to wear pants as I had planned naked Waist down but as Santa brought big boy pants he had other ideas and so far and wee is concerned it’s worked great

zombiemum123 Sun 30-Dec-18 22:59:39

Anyone hmm?

cheesywotnots Sun 30-Dec-18 23:01:35

Have you tried the toilet seat that has got steps up to the seat, makes it easier to sit on the seat.

PoutySprout Sun 30-Dec-18 23:02:37

It’s really common. They don’t always realise that it’s not part of them and most are fearful that it will cause a splash.

Lots of ideas using and adapting a nappy whilst they gently get used to the idea.

isthistoonosy Sun 30-Dec-18 23:03:20

I'd sudeenly find that i needed to wash all the pant and make it a silly no pants day and see what happens.
Or try using a potty for poo's it s more natural body position for a poo and less scary for some kids.

I didn't have this prob with mine but it seems to be pretty common, so I won't worry too much.

TheNewYear Sun 30-Dec-18 23:03:46

How about putting some paper down first of all so there isn’t a splash?

Sandinmypants Sun 30-Dec-18 23:10:22

Have you downloaded ‘Poo goes to Pooland’ app? It’s a particularly joyous part of parenting, particularly waving the poo off to Pooland when it does eventually happen.

OP my daughter was the same when we recently potty trained her. I showed her Poo goes to Pooland a million a couple of times. I was hyper vigilant for farts and when they happened we said things like ‘oh that’s your poo saying hello’. Then I would sit her on the loo, with my phone so she could watch her favourite cartoon and eventually a poo would come. After the first one we obviously had a big celebration (after waving the poo off 🙄) and I fed her several chocolate buttons as a reward. She was quite embarrassed about doing a poo and she often says ‘go away Mummy’ when she is on the loo, so I just sort of hover nearby doing jobs, listening out. Also, I found that she was getting quite upset about being asked constantly about whether she needed a poo, so I stopped asking, just looked for the signs and then sat her on the toilet.

Good luck! I can’t believe I’ve just written so much about poo 💩

zombiemum123 Sun 30-Dec-18 23:19:48

Haha sand I can’t believe that I think about poo so much! I will defiantly get that app he likes playing on my phone on the loo 🙄

I did think about the potty but it got the same reaction as asking him to poo on the toilet and I don’t want to confuse him? I’ll keep it lying about and make it clear he has a choice. He’s never poo’d on the toilet so I doubt he’s worried About the splash back, the more I think about it the more I think the issue might be that he usually standing (hiding) rather then sitting so I suppose it must be a bit strange

Cornishclio Sun 30-Dec-18 23:48:38

My granddaughter had the same issue. It is very common. Bribery worked in the end. A lollipop or chocolate buttons or star on reward chart for a toy for each poo on the toilet. She is fine now and no longer asks for reward.

IncomingCannonFire Sun 30-Dec-18 23:53:32

A sticker chart with a wrapped present after 10 stickers worked for ds1.
Ds2 is being equally stubborn after a promising start copying his big bro.
The joys of parenting.

Wizzwazzwas Sun 30-Dec-18 23:57:20

We started with a potty as less 'scary' (no water or big drop, and smaller). A friend lined her child's potty with a nappy initially for the same reason. Good luck!

Wizzwazzwas Sun 30-Dec-18 23:59:03

Also if you can catch the right moment the it's harder to hold in if you give them a drink, and then some bubbles to blow (stimulates the relaxation of the bowel!)

AwdBovril Mon 31-Dec-18 00:08:11

We had this with DD. She was late to potty training anyway (over 3 before she even started to get it), & she could wee on potty or toilet, but refused poos. Pants or night nappy, every time, it was a total pain, for months. We didn't pressure her, then she just suddenly got it & didn't really look back.

And definitely yes to bribery! We let DD choose some little chocolate treats & discussed what they were for.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »