Talk

Advanced search

Bed wetting - nappies can't cope!

(9 Posts)
Cmh77 Tue 30-Oct-18 01:40:52

Hi

My 3 year old can fill and therefore wet the bed with one wee during the night. We are often having to change him and the bedding. He is in pampers 6+. Reluctant to go to 7s as they don't do a 7+.

We put him on the toilet for a wet before bed .

Any advice please?

OP’s posts: |
Birdie69 Tue 30-Oct-18 01:51:41

Put an incontinence pad inside the Pamper. Like a liner. A Super Tena pad holds 500 mls of urine - two cups. That should make a difference.

WinkysTeatowel Tue 30-Oct-18 03:12:03

Can you try a 'dream wee' when you go to bed?

SleepWarrior Tue 30-Oct-18 03:19:52

No drinks for an hour before bed and stick him on the toilet before you go to sleep should do the trick.

tenorladybeaker Tue 30-Oct-18 03:35:53

There certainly are 7+ sizes but they get called pyjama pants so as to feel less stigmatising for the older children and adults who need to use them. They are more expensive though.

Is it feasible for your 3yo to get out of bed and get to the loo unsupervised if they need a wee in the night?

If so you could consider a night-wetting alarm? These are generally used for older children so you'd need to be confident that the child would be able to switch off the alarm and get to the loo when it sounds and 3yo may be too young.

Wearing a pair of cloth pants under the nappy is one option so that the child gets to "feel wet" and start learning to avoid that wetness. Night-wetting treatment plans for older children do generally advocate that nappies shouldn't generally be used overnight in the absence of physiological or other reasons why they are necessary. If a child is in a nappy they are being given an unspoken signal that it is OK to pee into their pants.

The alarm works by establishing a pavlovian reaction association between having a bladder that is full to bursting and waking up. They can work wonders, but I do have a friend whose dc was terrified by their only attempt to use one, so maybe not the right solution for all cases.

icklekid Tue 30-Oct-18 03:58:25

Just because there is no 7+ doesn't really make sense to me as a reason not to even try .. they might work? Is he toilet trained in the day? What time do you stop drinking in the evening or does he have milk at bedtime still?

Cmh77 Tue 30-Oct-18 07:25:39

Thank you all for some great ideas to try - I think making big changes to his well established bedtime routine is what needs to happen. He has had lots of changes and we have given it time to settle, but now we need to just get it sorted.

Di11y Tue 30-Oct-18 07:48:49

I found restricting liquids 1 hour before bed wasn't enough, but 2 hours (except sips) and lots of water in the morning helped.

I've got a washable waterproof pad for dd 4 which she lies on top so any accidents is just new pjs and remove pad rather than full change.

Cmh77 Tue 13-Nov-18 01:43:52

Thanks all - so we have success (so far!), with the main winner being earlier and less milk ... sounds easy, but my son loves his milk. A new, fun, self chosen beaker has allowed this to happen.
He loves his Spider-Man Drynites and gets stickers for a wee just before sleep.
I have also bought bed wetting pads, which we use as an extra protector on our bed in the morning.
I was also advised to layer up his mattress with protectors and sheets, so you only have to remove the top two and the bed is ready to go ... rather than the faff of finding the clean bedding.
Thanks again

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in