Talk

Advanced search

Overnight Potty Training

(6 Posts)
oligopoly Mon 08-Oct-18 11:41:21

Our son absolutely nailed daytime potty training when he was 2 and a half. it was extremely rare for him to have accidents and always took himself to the toilet when required. We just put him in evening pullups and that system worked well.

Fast forward to now – he’s 4 and a half, just started school and we thought he’s well overdue being able to go overnight in normal pants. But we just can’t solve the evening potty training and we’ve been trying for a few weeks. We wake him to do a ‘dream wee’ around 10pm – and he always goes, even if it’s just a little trickle, but more often than not he comes into our room in the early hours as he’s wet himself. I just don’t understand how we’re able to train him if he’s asleep and unable to take himself to the toilet.

His room is next to the toilet so that’s not the problem – I think he’s just such a deep sleeper that he doesn’t know he needs to go. We have mattress covers, so at least there’s that, but we’re having to wash his bedding most days! Any advice?!?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Mon 08-Oct-18 11:44:38

Doesn't sound like he's ready as you can't train for night dryness. It's hormone related for a start so if they aren't producing it then they won't stay dry. I'd go back to pull ups for a bit longer

Crocky Mon 08-Oct-18 11:48:18

www.eric.org.uk/blog/help-with-night-time-dryness-after-potty-training

Janelove Mon 08-Oct-18 17:28:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Shoobydooby09 Thu 11-Oct-18 21:19:40

Hi OP I came on here to look for or start a thread of the exact same topic as I am concerned that my DS is showing no signs of being dry through the night. He has just started school too and his pull ups still very wet in the morning. I had heard about it being hormone related and from reading the link from @Crocky he's showing no signs of being ready so pull ups it is for the time being. I'm not concerned now though.

oligopoly Fri 12-Oct-18 08:38:01

Hi Shoobydooby09. I also feel a little more relaxed about things and pleased to hear you're in the same boat. He's back in pull-ups and we'll probably give it another go in January.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »