Talk

Advanced search

Day 13 - do i give up? 4 accidents including 2 poos

(12 Posts)
WhyTheHeckMe Thu 12-Jul-18 22:12:06

Ds is 2.5. He is on day 13 of potty training. Does fine at home, will wee on the potty or toilet (often with a little dribble in pants before he says oh I need a wee! And rushes off). When we're out we go to toilets regularly and he goes without accident.
Today he has had 2 full wet and poo accidents at nursery. Yesterday it was 1 wet and 1 poo.
He has managed 3 poos in total on the potty in 13 days, bearing in mind he poos twice a day that means he's had around 23 poo accidents!
He knows when he needs to go. I see him straining and then he tells me straight away he's pooed. I recognise his signals but he denies he needs it and will have a huge meltdown if I try and sit him on the potty.

How do I sort this out? I really didn't think we'd still be in this situation almost 2 weeks on.

Does this mean he's not ready? ! As everyone gave me the impression when they're ready it should take a couple of days sad

Havetothink Sun 15-Jul-18 09:49:44

I think a couple of days might be a bit optimistic. Maybe don't force him on the potty if he's already done it, just give extra reward when he does get it in the potty.

mel0609 Sun 15-Jul-18 09:52:00

Every child is different, persistence is key! Mistakes happen like everyone knows but moving on from it is the best way forward! Just keep trying! Hope you get there soon

Codysmum88 Sun 15-Jul-18 23:42:59

Potty training takes longer than a few days haha my DS is 5 and still wets himself every now and again. Just be persistent and keep going

beepbeep321 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:23:09

He may not be ready. My ds went back into pull-ups as he didn't get it to start off with. We spent the next few months reading pirate peters potty, I need a wee etc and just gentle encouragement, then we tried again when he was 3...it was still a long haul but he got there. He was still having occasional accidents until recently tho and he is 5 now. I'm starting to think ahead to my youngest ds now. About to buy a potty soon to have lying around so he gets used to it smile

IdblowJonSnow Sat 11-Aug-18 08:32:14

Sounds not ready. If he's getting upset try again in a few months. I didn't do either of mine until they were almost three and then they were just ready. Good luck!

Thesearmsofmine Sat 11-Aug-18 08:39:16

I would take a break and try again in a few months. He is only very little still and if he is getting upset he isn’t ready.

frontera Sat 11-Aug-18 08:49:42

I'd stop and wait a few months. I tried training my son at the same age and after 2 weeks of zero successes gave up. Tried again at 2 and 10 months and he was trained in about 4 days with no dramas. Still has the very odd accident and he's nearly 4 but it's usually leaving it to the last second to go to the loo then not getting his trousers down quickly enough

mrsoutnumbered Sat 11-Aug-18 12:54:31

I'm in a similar situation, my daughter was 2 in April and we've been potty training for 2 weeks. At home, she gets most of her wees on the potty but still has 1 or 2 accidents a day. She does get all her poos in the potty. When we're out she completely forgets about it and will just wet herself so I put her in pull ups while we're out.

My son was like yours - it took him a good 2-3 weeks to sit on the potty and poo. I just cleaned up with minimal fuss and told him "poo belongs in the potty or toilet, not on the floor".

I would keep going with it. But it depends on stress levels - if he's getting too upset (or you are!) then there is nothing wrong with putting it all on hold for a while.

The last few days I've been in two minds about stopping but I feel like I round be backtracking now, as she is getting to the potty most of the time!

Toohot12244 Sat 11-Aug-18 13:00:51

Sounds not ready and like my DS at 2.5 years, we did about 4/5 days of this and gave up. He is 3.5 now and about 10 weeks ago came home from nursery saying he wanted to wear big boy pants, we put him on toilet- he had one accident over the weekend we were training him and he got it straight away. He has had three accidents in 10 weeks, these were when he got to the toilet but didn’t pull his pants down in time. I’d give up and try again in a few months when he’s older

Babymamamama Sat 11-Aug-18 13:05:39

Maybe he's not quite ready?

TittyGolightly Sat 11-Aug-18 13:08:43

When he learned to walk, did he never fall over?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: