Talk

Advanced search

3.5 year old ds no longer gets poos in potty

(3 Posts)
Elwyn Fri 29-Jun-18 21:11:08

Just over a month ago my 3.5 year old ds was potty trained and everything seemed to go well but then in the last week he has stopped being able to get poos in the potty. He stands there very still and then starts crying and there is poo in his pants. I feel like he really wants to get poos in the potty since he gets so distressed when he poos in his pants. In the first 3 or so weeks of potty training ALL poos went in the potty, there were NO poos in his pants. He used to be able to do it! We wondered if the poos he got successfully in the potty were because he happened to need a wee at the same time as he regularly gets wee in the potty. We really get the feeling that he has no sense that it's happening until it is too late. I have looked this up on the internet and all I can find is people talking about children that were constipated and they stretched their colon so could no longer feel the poo coming through. However, as far as I am aware he has not had any constipation. He did have a bout of vomiting 3 weeks ago but I can't see how that might be relevant?

OP’s posts: |
anotherangel2 Sat 30-Jun-18 08:24:59

Some times illness can effect a child’s general behaviour and can lead to a regression of some kind.

What are consistency of his poo?

Elwyn Sat 30-Jun-18 11:29:34

One or two poos were very soft almost verging on diarrhoea but the last 3 or 4 have been very normal. That is reassuring to hear that there could be a normal reason for this and that it could just be a case of waiting it out.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »