Talk

Advanced search

5 year old wont poo in toilet

(3 Posts)
lyssie29 Mon 19-Feb-18 19:48:37

My dd is 5 in march and is still refusing to poo in the toilet. Ive tried everything and although i read something that said to never do it i have now refused to give her a nappy. I have explained to her why and she has gone 4 days now and keeps asking for a nappy. This is the last resort as ive also contacted the charity ERIC and taken her to her gp and both said it sound behavioural and gp said if she wont go they can give her laxatives. Is this the right thing to do? I dont want to make her worse but I'm so tired of all of it and its made me afraid to potty train my 2 year old incase she does the same. Because of her refusing to go to the toilet we have had to cut meals short and days out as she also says she wont put a nappy on while shes out.

OP’s posts: |
CaptainKirkssparetupee Tue 20-Feb-18 11:58:50

This is very common, just let her have a nappy, but get her to use it in the bathroom only, get her to wipe once she's finished (over the nappy), flush the paper and wash her hands, then change her.

Then, after a few weeks of that, get her sitting on the toilet in the nappy while she poos.

Then after a while, cut a hole in the nappy, so she's pooing in the toilet. Then cut most of the nappy away, so it's just the waistband....
Then no nappy.

Irishgirl81 Thu 22-Feb-18 22:00:55

Hi, my second child was like this, we had aced potty training and peeing by 3 years but he refused to poo, like u I had tried it all, then one day when I took him out we had no nappy and I explained this to him and he went eventually in toilet and I made a huge deal out of it. I know it is frustrating but one day it will eventually click and u won’t look back. I remember someone telling me once that kids don’t like the feeling of not having anywhere to press their feet as they are so used to doing it while standing so I bought a step for the toilet and encouraged him to use it and put his feet on it while going.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »