Talk

Advanced search

Can I go back? Gave up on day 1

(8 Posts)
Annabel43 Sun 11-Feb-18 14:30:32

I have twin girls... they are 2 yrs and 5 months. I know they’re ready, they have been a while.... but I tried a couple of days ago and it was so stressful! Particularly at meal time. So I gave up. We did have one wee in the potty, but lots of accidents. I’m really angry with myself that I didn’t see it through. Can I / should I pick it up again tomorrow? Or is that going to confuse them more?

Thanks x

PeonyTruffle Sun 11-Feb-18 16:29:19

Accidents are unfortunately part of the potty training process.
If you think they’re ready, stick it out for a couple more days and then see how the situation is, I don’t think give up on the first day.

It’s hard, I’m just coming to the end of having my DS dry during the day and we’re about to move onto night training confused

Annabel43 Sun 11-Feb-18 16:58:56

Thank you.... the weather is supposed to be rubbish again this week so I think I might try again. We’ve kept talking about it and left the potties out. Well done for getting through it! Good luck with the nights! Xxx

lorisparkle Sun 11-Feb-18 17:17:24

I would give it a couple of days, although it an be difficult at the start. I tried really hard to have a ‘never mind, next time in the potty’ approach but it is not easy (especially when ds1 climbed onto the packing area if the self scan at Tesco’s and weeed! ) if it is really not going well leave it a couple of weeks then try again. I was so much more relaxed with ds2 and 3 and it was so much easier. I also left it later. Don’t worry about the night times. You can not train them for night times as it happens when the body starts producing the right hormone. With ds1 we ended up having to see the dr but ds2 was dry day and night within a week. Pure biology!

PeonyTruffle Sun 11-Feb-18 19:08:12

Loris
He did a wee on the self service machine?!? Oh my goodness that’s hilarious grin

lorisparkle Sun 11-Feb-18 19:56:14

I was mortified and offered to clean it up but the lady just grabbed some gloves and said not to worry! I never used the Same self scan till again!!!!

MincemeatTart Sun 11-Feb-18 20:01:22

With twins, you might find it easier to focus on one first then when one is reasonably reliable the other will follow.

dressinggowndressingdown Sun 11-Feb-18 20:11:21

The book Oh Crap is an excellent guide and worked well for my child at a similar age -
You basically live in one room with the child wearing no trousers/pants or anything on the bottom, when successful with no clothes on, move to baggy trousers/bottoms - not pants as this feels to the mind too much like the nappy and you need to break he muscle memory.

Also shorten your day so if they get tired at 5 just do bath, night time nappy & pj's early so accidents when tired don't happen as already in a nappy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now