Talk

Advanced search

Is he not ready? Please help!

(5 Posts)
Rochyella84 Sun 11-Feb-18 11:35:52

Hi!

I would really like to get my 2 year 7 month old boy potty trained before baby number 2 arrives in a few months. He is a bright boy - really good understanding and language. Around 16 months he began telling me he needed to do a poo before he did it in his nappy and he still does sometimes.

At around 2 years old we started sitting on the toilet before bath and he did a wee every night, but the last 2-3 months he has sat on it every evening and not done a single wee. I haven't pushed but decided the last few days we would give the potty training a proper go.

We have gone cold turkey and got him in pants and had lots of discussions - he tells me that when he needs to go, he needs to tell me and then we can use the potty.

So far we have had a few wees on the potty but this is only when I have noticed a few spots on his pants, or when I have suggested he sits on it. He hasn't once done a wee on the potty because he told me he needs one. He has however done several wees on the floor. A couple of times he has said to me 'Im holding my willy down because I need a wee' and I have said lets sit on the toilet then. He has then changed his mind and said 'No I dont need one' and then within 2 minutes has weed on the floor.

My gut is telling me he is ready and he does understand but am I wrong here? I don't want to push him before he is actually ready.

Codysmum88 Mon 12-Feb-18 00:03:06

He's young yet, I'd put him in nappies and wait until he can tell you he needs to go

Olisie3 Tue 13-Feb-18 11:44:52

I have same problem also with son the same age as yours. When I ask him if he wants to sit on a potty, I always hear No mummy. We tried not using nappies, but he always wee directly on the floor, like he does it on purpose. I don't understand that. It is huge problem, cause soon he is starting kindergarden and nappies are not allowed there. Daughter resigned from nappies when she was 1year and 11 months. So huge difference sad I tried everything already, talking and trying to convince him, ; trying to compaere to other children; reading books about bears and little boys using potty; also I promised some kind of reward for using potty. But nothing works. I have no idea what else to do.

Olisie3 Tue 13-Feb-18 11:47:57

What is worse, I have friend and she's got 2 sons..first one resigned from nappies when he was 5!!! Second one is almost 4 and still in nappies. Can't imagine that same could be with my son. sad

Rochyella84 Wed 21-Feb-18 11:35:28

Sorry Olisie3 - I didn't see this until now.

I decided to just properly go for it and spent 4 days at home. Had him naked (heating on full blast) and just kept taking him. Its going pretty well - we are on day 7 now, and he has been at nursery for 2 days and had 2 dry days there which is fab. I and they are taking him every 45-60 mins to the toilet - he sometimes goes and sometimes doesnt and I am learning to trust him when he says he doesn't need it.

He isn't yet telling me that he needs it but I am hoping that comes soon. No poos in the potty yet, but one step at a time....

It is such hard work though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now