Talk

Advanced search

4 yr old refusing night time pull ups

(17 Posts)
StorminaBcup Sat 10-Feb-18 10:38:10

My DS is adamant he doesn’t want to wear pull ups at night but he’s not yet dry overnight. Once he’s asleep he’s a deep sleeper so he doesn’t yet realise when he’s wetting the bed. I’m getting him to drink more during the day and his last drink is at dinner time (around 5pm), with a small (as in a few sips) of milk if he needs it around 6pm (bed time is 7pm). He only drinks milk or water (through choice!). Getting him out of bed for a dream-wee doesn’t work as he freaks out if we try and move him (and I have a two yr old who’s bedroom is next to the bathroom).
He’s been wet every morning this week and a few times during the night. The bathroom light is left for him so it’s not dark. I really can’t face endless nights of bed-changing as the two yr old is a crap sleeper as it is. Any helpful advice?

Wolfiefan Sat 10-Feb-18 10:41:48

Make an agreement. How many nights does he have to be dry before he can leave off the pull ups?
Are they uncomfortable? Does he say why he doesn't want to wear them?
You can't train night dryness. It's largely down to the production of a certain hormone.

StorminaBcup Sat 10-Feb-18 10:51:40

I’ve mamaged to keep him in them for a few months longer than he’s wanted with the agreement that he should be dry for a 4 nights in a row. He doesn’t want to wear them because they’re for babies but I’ve tried to tell him they’re for up to age 6 because there’s a ‘6’ on the front! He said he just wants to be a proper big boy and his friend at school said he doesn’t wear at pull-ups at night. He’s really determined he doesn’t want to wear them to the point that we end up with a big stand-off at bed time.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sat 10-Feb-18 10:59:00

Dry Nites are for bigger kids, DS2 wears age 4 - 7. You'll probably find that Pull-Ups are tight on him. Tell him they're not for babies, as they also come in age 8 - 15.

StorminaBcup Sat 10-Feb-18 11:07:39

Perfectly - thank you! I’m not sure how I’ve missed these but I’ve just seen the 3-5 yr olds have Spider-Man on the front so I think he’ll wear these with no arguments!

Thank you too Wolfiefan

Codysmum88 Sun 11-Feb-18 09:14:56

If he refuses you could just pop a pull up on once he's asleep? My DS whos 5 still wears one to bed and a few months ago he refuses so we'd wait til he was asleep and slip one on him. He realises now though why he has to wear them so we no longer have any trouble

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sun 11-Feb-18 09:32:15

3 - 5 might be a little tight, DD grew out of 4 - 7 when she was 7.

StorminaBcup Sun 11-Feb-18 16:30:01

Not a chance Codysmum he would freak out if he woke up mid change and then we’d have a epic tantrum to deal with!

He’s tall but lean perfectly so he’s still ok size 6’s but he doesn’t like the baby picture. Although I think the drynites are going to be a non-starter too after he’s said his friend doesn’t wear any night time pants so he doesn’t want to either 😩.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sun 11-Feb-18 19:21:17

Put an inco pad on the bed, let him go without pyjama bottoms if the house is warm enough? DS2'so school nurse seems to be in a hurry for him to ditch the Dry Nites and the think we need a few dry nights (see what I did there?) first. DD didn't give hers up until she was 8.

Marcine Sun 11-Feb-18 19:23:39

Why don't you just give it a go?

No pj bottoms, bed mat under him - it might take a few wet nights for him to get the hang of it.

StorminaBcup Sun 11-Feb-18 19:25:19

Put the inco pad over the waterproof mattress topper but under the sheet? Didn’t think about going bottomless - good tip. It’s just washing the duvet every day that’s frustrating too - he gets himself wrapped up in it. I don’t remember all of this from when I was younger - I’m sure I was dry by 4!

StorminaBcup Sun 11-Feb-18 19:26:57

Marcine - I have. This is day 7. No improvement (which is fine), but he’s not ready and his sleep is getting disrupted from him waking in the middle of the night with a wet bed.

GummyGoddess Sun 11-Feb-18 19:39:18

Have you tried the bed wetting alarms?

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sun 11-Feb-18 19:49:05

Yes, that's it Storm. Maybe when he wakes up and the bed's wet he'll realise he needs Dry Nites. He really doesn't sound ready.

lorisparkle Sun 11-Feb-18 19:52:32

I gave up on pull ups as ds is wet through even with them. Ds1 was not dry until 10 yrs but it is considered normal until 7/8yrs so we did not get help til then. After that it was tablets then an alarm. To help they recommend at least 7 drinks a day (not including milk) No drinks at least an hour before bed and no pull ups. I use a piece of plastic and a towel under the sheet as it is easier to wash. Unfortunately the duvet I just wash every day and sometimes the pillows as well. The ERIC website gives excellent information about bedtime wetting

caffeinequick Sun 11-Feb-18 20:06:54

I put one on my ds after he'd fallen asleep a few times. Probably not relevant as he's not waking up but a potty in his room so he doesn't have to go far could help.

StorminaBcup Mon 12-Feb-18 16:52:41

Gummy, no not yet. I’m hoping he’ll get the hang of it soon or go back to pull ups until he’s ready.

Perfectly you’re right he’s not ready but peer pressure has started early in this instance. I hoping the Spider-Man pants will make it more acceptable for him to wear them again at bed time.

lorisparke I’ll have a look at the ERIC website, thank you!

caffeine - potty in his room is a good idea. I’ll give that a try too.

Thanks for the suggestions and moral support! If only night time dryness was as easy as potty-training.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: