Talk

Advanced search

5 yo in night nappies

(20 Posts)
Codysmum88 Thu 08-Feb-18 08:06:44

My DS is 5 yo now and still has to wear nappies to bed as he simply just doesn't wake up confused Is this normal? He's 99% dry durning the day with just the occasional accident if he leaves it too long. How old was your DC ? Most my friends children were 4 or under blush

CaptainKirkssparetupee Thu 08-Feb-18 12:18:49

It's 100% normal and isn't even really seen as an issue until the age of 7. Night dryness is related to hormone production in most cases and is just something you need to wait for.

GinAndSonic Thu 08-Feb-18 12:21:30

My ds was 7 back in October, he's just started sleeping without a pull up having been spontaneously dry since Christmas

Stephhowl Fri 16-Feb-18 01:29:41

Hi there, I myself was a bedwetter till the age of 7 and i had to wear baby nappies as there was no drynites like today. I was lucky that my parents never hassled me about it even if i was lazy and stayed in my nappy some weekend mornings. My 6 year old daughter also wets every night so I take the same approach my parents did and that is not to make a fuss about it and treat it as a normal part of growing up for some children. My DD has a choice on what nappy she wears as I buy a selection, but mostly wears pampers baby dry size 7 or asda little angles size 6+, I buy baby nappies as they are cheaper and she still fits in them fine and also because they hold more than pull ups which leak. She's fine with me putting her nappy on in the evening. I put it on about half an hour before bed during story time and if she needs a wee she can undo one tab and go to the toilet. Her nappies are about half to 3/4 full in the morning unless she does her morning wee in her nappy usually on a weekend but as they are already wet from the night i usually turn a blind eye to this as she always up and goes to the toilet during the weekday before school. If she comes into my room during the weekend and I've done the late shift at work I will usually allow her to sleep in with me as my husband works some weekends, so i will usually take her night nappy off and put another one on her as she usually falls asleep and wets again sometimes she will keep that nappy on till midday reading a book or colouring and use it lol. I know i sound like a lazy parent but my kid is happy she does well at school and has no problems at sleepovers with regards to hiding her nappy her friends know and i think because she's so confident even with a bedwetting problem her friends don't really care or make fun so thats my experience with bedwetting and the fact my 6 year old is still in nappies but there are far worse things that could happen and she like me wont be in them forever so just chill out about it and let it happen naturally.

Codysmum88 Fri 16-Feb-18 12:40:11

My DS keeps his on for breakfast most mornings before he gets dressed, I don't really mind if he does morning wee in it, DH on the other hand... he will tell DS that hrs not a baby and when he's awake he MUST use the toilet.

IceBearRocks Fri 16-Feb-18 20:07:24

This might be harsh.....BUT..... why does you child need to the their morning wee in a nappy?

This all sounds like laziness!!!

Remind they need to wee...use inco sheet beneath bottom sheet and let the wet wake them ...wake thier bodies!!!

Unless drugs are needed then your child needs parenting not Molly coddling!

Sophisticatedsarcasm Fri 16-Feb-18 20:12:48

My 5 year old DD has been day trained since 2 1/2. No issues during the day but has to wear a dry nites at night. The first 3 months were going well only wet herself maybe twice a week. Then for some reason I noticed she woke up just as she needed to go but couldn’t get up in time. She’s getting better having a dry nappy 2 or 3 days in the night. She always goes to the toilet before she goes to bed and if she stirs in the night if I’m awake I’ll take her again. I’m gonna try again with no nappies in the summer. It is very expensive.
My DS has dry nites aswell as he has night terrors and can’t control himself they are becoming less and less so hopefully fingers crossed they may disappear. He is also autistic which I’ve heard from several people Wetting the bed is a symptom of this.

poddige Fri 16-Feb-18 23:00:19

Does your DS have any additional needs?

Needing a nappy/pull up through the night is one thing, but a morning wee in a nappy and not taking it off them until after breakfast will not be helping him at all.

My DSS is 7 and I know he and his friends would be mortified at this. Help him, don't hinder him OP.

poddige Fri 16-Feb-18 23:01:12

SparkleFizz Fri 16-Feb-18 23:09:15

Wetting at night at 5 yrs old is fairly normal - when we were talking to our paediatrician about 6yr old DS1 wetting at night, she said that it wasn’t something to worry about yet, and that approximately 40% of 6 yr olds still wet at night.

Ellieboolou27 Fri 16-Feb-18 23:33:29

Normal, my dd who's 5.5 has stopped wearing pull ups st night and been dry for about 2 months now, ignore those that state its laziness, people who say that really piss me off as it's nothing to do with being lazy at all.

Sarahh2014 Fri 16-Feb-18 23:40:21

Have you tried waking him and taking him for a wee when u go to bed? Sort of like dreamfeeding but toilet if you know what I mean? We did itand was dry in no time

Hera2018 Fri 16-Feb-18 23:43:07

It’s quite normal, two of mine were in night nappies until the age of 6 or 7 as they simply did not wake at night and would sleep in a soaking wet bed if not wearing the nappy. As others have said it’s often to do with hormone development and not much you can do.
However it would be a good habit for him to take the nappy off as soon as he gets up, as doing a morning wee in it is not helping him to retrain his body.
Every couple of months try taking the nappy off at night and see how he gets on - with usual rules of not too much to drink just before bed and go the toilet last thing before sleeping.

Alittlebitofthis Fri 16-Feb-18 23:44:41

Our 5yo ds is still in pull ups at night. Absolutely fine through the day. But sleeps soundly at night so doesn't wake. Tried a couple of times but it's not worked

poddige Sat 17-Feb-18 00:28:38

@Ellieboolou27 I think pp was referring to letting him wee in his nappy in the morning, and not taking it off him until after breakfast when 'lazy' was mentioned.

Thirtyrock39 Sat 17-Feb-18 00:41:13

Increase fluids in the day to increase bladder capacity and double void (wee at bedtime, teeth, story then an 'extra ' wee) and if that doesn't help and no constipation they may not be physically ready but do try that first

FastWindow Sat 17-Feb-18 00:45:16

You let your 5yo wee in his nappy in the morning?
OK.

Ellieboolou27 Sat 17-Feb-18 08:57:55

Yes I realised that after posting blush
I guess I was feeling a bit over sensitive as people used to say I was lazy for keeping my dd in pull ups, I'd make her take them off as soon as she woke though

Bixx Sat 17-Feb-18 09:07:39

It’s normal for a 5 year old not to be dry at night. My oldest wore pull ups at night until 7.5 (and was wet every night too). They suddenly grew out of it, virtually overnight, just as the referral for the enuresis clinic came through.

I would encourage him to take his nappy off as soon as he wakes though. Letting him wee in it when he is awake and perfectly able to get to the toilet could be confusing him.

Hannahbrett89 Tue 23-Oct-18 00:31:40

My daughter is 5 and still has a nappy at night! We use Asda size 6+ or pampers size 7! she Takes them of herself on school days but tends to keep them on on weekends so I have to take it off because if she can she will keep them on for a while, I wouldn’t worry as I’m sure she will become dry soon and her nappies won’t fit forever, I don’t intend on buying drynites as I think they confuse a child and make them
Think it’s ok to use a nappy at night for longer than is nessacery

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: