Talk

Advanced search

What to do now?

(8 Posts)
bettydraper31 Wed 06-Dec-17 13:18:44

DD was 2 in July, so not quite 2.5. She will not use the potty, but will sit on the toilet happily. She has weed twice on the toilet, but it’s still a bit hit & miss as to whether she wants to sit on it. She will still wee & poo in her nappy.

She tells me when she’s done a poo but not when she’s done a wee. Do you think she’s ready? I was thinking of getting some knickers for her to try at home so she knows the sensation of being wet but I don’t want to confuse her.

What do you think? Thanks in advance. X

lornathewizzard Wed 06-Dec-17 13:36:41

She's still small there's really no rush. Personally I would wait until she can recognise she needs to go. Or at least until she knows she's gone. It's stressful enough even when they are ready, no point rushing it IMO

bettydraper31 Wed 06-Dec-17 14:09:20

Thanks Lorna. X

Mamabear4180 Wed 06-Dec-17 14:24:04

I'd do it like you say and put her in the knickers at home for short spells at a time. That's what I did with my eldest, just practiced at home and she wore pull ups a bit longer when out. It took 4 months but I started age 2 so she was 2.4 when she was dry in the day. I had a toilet seat that went under the big seat and a step to get up. I also bought the Kandoo wipes.

My 2nd DD has ASD and is turning 3 and never worn knickers yet, she's sat on the toilet a few times but has no understanding, so just go with the flow and don't worry about ages.

bettydraper31 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:43:28

Thank you xx

Smellyjo Wed 06-Dec-17 21:40:44

Another approach is the oh crap book - I'd really recommend it and there are other mums on here who've had success with it. She suggests not going to knickers too soon as it feels too much like a nappy and the kid is used to letting go. You start being bare bummed for a few days, catching what you can and teaching how it works, before wearing clothes commando for a few weeks. Recommended age range is 20-30 months so sounds about right. My dd is 23 months and she's more or less there after 6 weeks learning.

bettydraper31 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:00:10

That’s very true, thank you! I was thinking of trying that earlier today. Just let her run around with no bottoms on (at home obvs lol) and see what happens.... x

Smellyjo Fri 08-Dec-17 21:31:17

No harm in trying! For my DD it felt like a disaster for 2/3 days but then we started to see her getting it. The book really spells out everything and answers the many queries that arise. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now