Talk

Advanced search

What do I do

(4 Posts)
Poseyrose11 Tue 21-Nov-17 13:21:37

Hi, I am potty training my 2.5 year old boy at the moment. I thought he was ready, he will go for a wee on the potty when you sit him on and has been doing no 2s on the big toilet for months so I went for it and put him in pants this weekend. The problem is he starts going for a wee and then realises he is wearing pants, stops himself and does there ither half of the wee on the potty. This means he still has wet pants and this happens every time. I feel like putting him back in nappies is a step backwards, my mother in law suggested putting him on the potty every half hour but I'm not sure how I feel about that. He knows he has to go on the potty so would putting him on every half hour just be defeating the object as he still will not get that feeling of a full bladder and making it to the toilet before he lets it go?

teaandbiscuitsforme Wed 22-Nov-17 08:13:36

Take the underwear off him and just have him in loose bottoms for a couple of weeks. Pants give them the tight secure feeling like a nappy so they think they can wee. Going commando for a couple of weeks helps to break that link.

Your DS sounds like he's doing really well if he's stopping himself so definitely don't go back to nappies! Aldo don't put him on the potty every half an hour. He needs to link the feeling of needing a wee with moving to the toilet so you're right, it would defeat the purpose.

Poseyrose11 Fri 24-Nov-17 12:17:59

Thank you for your advice- we had a day in yesterday and I left him in his pj bottoms and we had a much better day. A couple of times he didn't even ask me just took himself off to the potty himself so we have definite progress there smile

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 24-Nov-17 18:10:30

Excellent progress! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now